Starting a Family Day Care in regional WA

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Nikky

Starting a Family Day Care in regional WA

Post by Nikky » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I hold a Cert III and am considering opening a Family Day Care in regional WA. I was wondering if anyone can give me some information on the requirements and whether there is an accreditation process.

We are looking at building our own home so could plan for some space etc. to include a Family Day Care.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Lorina

Re: Starting a Family Day Care in regional WA

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi Nikki,

This is just a quick reply to say that I've read your question and I'll post up some info over the next couple of days. I don't work in FDC (I'm currently working in LDC) however I will research some information for you and then you can go from there.

Cheers :geek:.
L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:56 pm

Hi Nikki,

I checked out the Dept of WA and it has all the details on licensing and regulations for a family day care service. The information in the regulations are pretty intense and there are alot of factors that you need to work out. For e.g. the health and safety standards are full on but since you are starting from scratch and building it from the beginning then I think it will be alot easier... I also found another family day care support service which you can contact and I think they will be able to give you info on starting up a FDC.

1) http://www.communities.wa.gov.au

2) http://www.familydaycare.com.au

Sorry If I can't be of more help,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi Nikki,

I'm a FDC Educator of 8 years.

Please please please seek advice from an accountant in regards to building a house with FDC in mind.
Anything that is attached to the house becomes a mine field tax wise. I went to a tax workshop recently as the tax legislation has changed recently. So a good accountant is worth their weight in gold in this respect.

Yes we do go thru the accreditation process.
We (Educators in FDC) are assessed under the same National Quality Framework. Australian Children's Education and Quality Authority (ACECQA) now use Assessment and Compliance Officers (Formerly known as Validators) to assess FDC under the National Quality Framework.
We follow EYLF and like centres we have regulations to follow as well.

Feel free Nikki to ask me more questions or pm me.
Hope this helps.

Lindy

Nikky

Post by Nikky » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:15 pm

Dear L.A. and LindyT

Thank you very much for your help. It will prob be another 12 months before I could start a FDC but I need to consider different options. My husband's uncle is an accountant so he might come in handy ;)

Thank you for the offer LindyT, I am sure I will need it :D

Cheers,
Nikky

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:40 pm

any time Nikky

Kimpossiblexd

Post by Kimpossiblexd » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi, I was just wondering, what is the difference between a FDC and LCD?

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:46 pm

The difference is FDC is family day care - held in someone's home and LDC - long day care - like at a centre.
Hope this helps
CAthie

Kimpossiblexd

Post by Kimpossiblexd » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:10 pm

Thank you Cathie, it did help =).
If you don't mind me asking another question; if i wanted to own my own LDC, would i buy a large enough home to fit a large number of kids or....? I'm sorry, i don't know what the other option would be.

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:25 pm

Kim try this link it might be helpful

http://www.childcare.wa.gov.au/

rooneyzeus

Post by rooneyzeus » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:31 pm

HI
I run a children Nursery in Milton Keynes, U.K. . Actually , i am running franchise of Monkey Puzzle Day Nursery in Milton Keynes. So I did not need to worry about paper work. You could try this too! If you are planning a home with day care center, then you will need a lot of space . You need a separate play room for children. You will need to plan a budget that enables you to provide proper child care and nutrition to the kids. I also created a website to promote my nursery further. It has helped me to gain clients as well. If you want to , you can check My nursery in Milton keynes