Starting a 3/4 year old kindy

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Rosie123
Participator
Participator

Starting a 3/4 year old kindy

Post by Rosie123 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:14 pm

hello,
I have been doing some research into starting a kindy for 3 to 4 year olds at our community centre. I know there is one or two in our area and wanted to know what I could offer that is different to the others and will set us apart. I have thought about offering a speech therapist program. Also I have a frlend who works a a kindy (school) based and she is a teachers assistant (university trained) I was wondering if she could b my unqualified even though she does not have a cert 3 specially under the new regulations starting next year. Would also like to hear from those teachers who are running a kindy for se advice
Thanks

Lorina

Re: Starting a 3/4 year old kindy

Post by Lorina » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:58 pm

Hi Rose,
have been doing some research into starting a kindy for 3 to 4 year olds at our community centre.

What a great opportunity you have! Opening up your own kindy sounds like a fantastic idea... Have you thought about how many children will come per day and if you have the required space? I know that it takes alot of hard work to get a kindy established and a huge responsibility... You mentioned that it can be done at a community center. So does that mean you will have to set up and pack away each day? Will it be between preschool hours 9 to 3?

wanted to know what I could offer that is different to the others and will set us apart.

A speech therapist is a good idea.... you could also offer Kinda Dance, Kinder Gym, music classes, yoga, dancing classes etc. Will parents have to pay on top of fees for their child attending programs? Also, if you're focusing on a kindy you could probably offer a school readiness program...

I have a friend who works a a kindy (school) based and she is a teachers assistant (university trained) I was wondering if she could b my unqualified even though she does not have a cert 3 specially under the new regulations starting next year.

Just to clarify does your friend have a bachelor of education (primary)? What qualification does your friend have? Under the new regulations like you said, the minimum qualification is a cert 3... it some states in Aus by next year everyone in childcare must have or must be working towards a cert 3 qualification at least... So, if you let me know your friends qualification I can find out more options for you both.

Sorry for asking lots of questions but I just want to get an idea on what your thinking of doing so I can provide you with the right information.

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

sandi28
Participator
Participator

Re: Starting a 3/4 year old kindy

Post by sandi28 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi Rosie, Apart from taking L.A's advice, being a professional. As a mother and student I would like to offer a couple of my ideas gained through experience and observation. I think the two most important things a child can have when entering school are language skills and self confidence. So if you can combine these using different methods then I think you are on a winner. One idea that would set you apart would be to offer an English learning class to an ethnic group. Do some research and come up with the ethnic group with the biggest population in your area. If you could employ someone who speaks that language to teach then I am sure you would get parent's to pay a little more for that service. Childcare services these days are based on early education with so many rules and laws, so if you can't or are not prepared to offer a full program then I would suggest that you provide a few specific programs in the afternoons. Keep in mind that parents who work full time are looking for a 5 day a week complete program. However, there could be a market for stay at home parents or parent's looking for 3/4 year old aged based activities for one or two days/afternoons a week. Being a part of a community centre I would also consider just having activities like;
- Weekly; Kiddy Gym, Sing and Dance, Fitness for Kids, Cooking with Kids etc.
- Monthly; Story Time, Craft and Dress Ups to do with the book.
- Special Holidays; Art and Craft/Story/Dress Ups - i.e. Easter, Father's Day, Mother's Day, Christmas and School Hols.
- Birthday Parties
Hope my ramblings helps you somewhat. Have so many ideas in my head. lol Best of Luck. Sandi. :D