Part Time Work and Study - Masters Of Teaching

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
kells

Part Time Work and Study - Masters Of Teaching

Post by kells » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:07 pm

I'm currently a little over halfway through my Master of Teaching (Birth - 12) and am looking at switching to part time study and finding a part time job. A few questions:

Would I be employed as a Diploma level educator at this point in my qualification or an Early Childhood Teacher?

I don't have any previous formal work experience in childcare, would centres be likely to employ someone who is still studying and who has no prior experience in a Diploma or ECT level job? Especially if they could get someone with a similar level experience at a trainee or Cert 3 level pay?

Lorina

Re: Part Time Work and Study - Masters Of Teaching

Post by Lorina » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:23 pm

According to ACECQA if you have completed 50% or more of your ECT qualification then you can be counted towards an ECT teacher in a service.

Here is some more information:

Actively Working Towards A Qualification

:geek:,
Lorina

cbird

Post by cbird » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:25 pm

Hi there - I understand that the degree you are studying needs to be one that ACECQA recognises - you can check if it is recognised here:
http://www.acecqa.gov.au/Qualifications.aspx

burgerbunz
Participator
Participator

Post by burgerbunz » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:45 pm

Hi Kells,

I'm just over half way through my masters (same as you) and got my first job which starts this Tuesday as an Early Childhood Teacher in an Independent School. I went in with two completed prac placements, and just over half of the course work done.

I took in all my prac reports, I applied for an official academic transcript from Uni to prove where I was at (note: this costs money and after 6 months it's not worth it as you have passed the units you were enrolled in (I hope) and enrolled in a new lot!!), + a confirmation of enrolment.

I had no experience (except for prac.) and have had no regular work for the past 10 years (apart from full time mum- no I don't think this holds much weight before you think that- my first prac placement told me that people shouldn't expect to get a job in childcare just because they've had children- and this seems to be a bit of a standard attitude in the centres here).

What uni are you with? I'm already having a freak out as to how I'm going to balance part time work, part time study and my family! If I can survive full time prac, family, and study, I guess it's possible!

kells

Post by kells » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:05 pm

Hey, congratulations on your new job!

I actually just got a part time ECT position as well, at a long daycare centre that's just opened near my home. It's 12 hours a week at the moment while their enrolments are low so I'm going to push on with 3 units a semester although that might be a bit insane! I'm studying at Western Sydney Uni, doing the Master of Teaching (Birth - 12) so primary as well.

I'm a bit worried too about how I'll juggle work and study and family. Oh and did I mention I'll be in the preschool room but I haven't actually done my preschool prac yet?! Freaking out a little, I got the job through someone I chatted with at the prac I've just finished who recommended me so I feel the pressure to live up to expectations!

burgerbunz
Participator
Participator

Post by burgerbunz » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:55 am

You'll be fine! If you've made it this far ;)
I found the 3-5 prac the hardest- I was over two rooms for the same prac (one did 3 days a week, the other did different days). and each teacher did things SO differently. They introduce phonics at this age in some places, and each teacher had their own way of doing this- and the school I'm going to be at does things differently again. I found one of the systems was quite difficult, it was very much a learn by ROTE thing- the other one was sounding it out- which was good- but then when they went to the next room- it was SO different!!
3 units- you are a nutter ;) In the nicest possible way!! ha ha!! I did 2 and it killed me this seamster, and am hoping to try and do 2 now I'm working- I did 3 last year and I was so close to going off my head that I thought it just wasn't worth it! See how we go anyway!! (I'm with ACU for the same course- birth to 12)