Looking for work questions

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
catnap
Helper
Helper

Looking for work questions

Post by catnap » Tue May 16, 2017 10:10 am

Hi Lorina,
To refresh your memory ....I am currently studying Cert III Education and Care. I have been looking for work the last 2 years after completing Cert IV OSHC, but nothing came up.I am just wondering how to go about looking for casual work or relief work? I have applied online Seek,com for work, but nothing yet! Do I have to be qualified to obtain work as a casual or relief worker? I know some centres will take workers if they are studying. Should I approach Director's at Childcare Centres and ask for this type of work? I put my name down online Goodstart, but that was about 6 mths ago. Someone told me to approach family owned centres for work.
Hoping you can advise, thanks!
Cheers
Lesley :D

Lorina

Re: Looking for work questions

Post by Lorina » Wed May 17, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi Lesley,

I'm surprised to hear that you are finding it difficult getting a job! Since you are currently studying you are "actively working towards your qualification" so it shouldn't be an issue.

I would probably suggest that your approach centres and drop off your resume and a cover letter stating what position you would like as well as your experience. You could also email the centre after a couple of weeks, asking whether they have any positions available, etc.

You should also reach out on facebook which may be another alternative and approach small and big chain centres... etc.

Just keep trying!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed May 17, 2017 12:38 pm

Also, have you tried a childcare agency... It's an alternative and they help you to get casual work as well as full time work...

Lorina

catnap
Helper
Helper

Post by catnap » Wed May 17, 2017 2:03 pm

Hi Lorina,
thanks for your reply and assistance. I have sent my resume in to a couple of places when I was applying on Seek.com. One centre advertised on Seek, actually asked to hand the resume in. I did my OSHC prac there a few years ago, so I was hoping to get into that centre, but that was 6 wks ago. I did follow it up, but nothing! I will approach a couple of others and see what happens. I think this area I live in(Sunshine Coast) is hard to get work. (not only in childcare) As I have not gained any previous work in childcare, they might look at someone who has more experience, perhaps?I have only been in and completed work placements, so I have all that on my resume. Any paid childcare was in NSW in a private home in OSHC, but that was in the 1980's! I guess I will just make a list of the centres and keep approaching the Directors and see if I can get a foot in THAT door! I am not on Facebook, but I have also tried Gumtree and We Need A Nanny and other similar agencies online last year(had a couple of ladies make enquiries)....not sure about other Childcare agencies?
Cheers! :D

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat May 20, 2017 4:21 pm

It must be frustrating because you're eagerly looking for work... You may have to look outside your area, just so you're able to find more work. it may be necessary to drive a little further away... Even though you may not have had that much experience, you seem to be very eager so that's a good thing!

Here is a list of childcare agencies on the Sunshine Coat that I have found:

Childcare Agencies

So, you could always give them a go.

Like you mentioned, the best way is to go about it is to approach other centres and let them know you're interested. The more the better chances.

I'm sure you find something soon!

Lorina

catnap
Helper
Helper

Post by catnap » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:30 am

Hi Lorina, I posted a msg 2 yrs ago regards looking for work in Sunshine Coast. Finally after all this time I have gained work as a casual relief in a childcare centre! After approx 10 interviews in both OOSH and childcare centres I was finally given the opportunity! I was just about to give up as I am approaching 58, but good to have a little bit of work as I have always been enthusiastic and passionate. Your forum has helped me over the years. Thanks again. Cheers

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:58 am

Hi!

Nice to hear from you! Congratulations it's great to hear that you found work in childcare! Did it take you 2 years??

I can see how passionate you are on wanting to work in this industry and it's great to hear that you are finally given the opportunity!

Enjoy it!

Also happy to hear this forum has been able to assist and support you! Thanks for your continued support!

Lorina

catnap
Helper
Helper

Post by catnap » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:14 pm

Hi Lorina,
thanks for your reply. Well, it actually took more than 2 years to be employed again I guess! I was actually EMPLOYED with an OOSH service, but didn't get any shifts due to their first in first served txts! That was in 2014, and during that time I was studying Cert IV in OOSH, which I completed in 2015, so my main interest was in that field of the OOSH setting. As I didn't get the shifts after 8 weeks, I quit and kept applying elsewhere for OOSH work. In late 2016 I decided to study Cert III online as I thought this may give me more chance if I covered all age groups. All the interviews began to happen from late 2017, 2018 and again this year. Both in OOSH and childcare centres. I also advertised online, handed in resumes and tried all I could to get a foot in the door, but was told I didn't have enough experience - even for a creche at a local shopping centre they asked for 2 yrs PAID work experience!!!! Sometimes I found the interviews were a bit over the top and some were pretty easy! I was about to give it up until I finally was offered some casual relief work recently. This suits me fine as mentioned I am almost 58 yrs of age and I felt I didn't really want full time work. I guess at times it has been very frustrating, and at times I was going to give up, but you never know what may happen when you keep trying over and over again! I had no certificates - not even a high school cert, so I am proud of myself for what I have achieved and a message to others out there...keep going!
Thanks again and all the best and thanks again for your help.
Cheers
Lesley

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:21 pm

Hi Lesley,

Wow what experience you've had when looking for work!

When a Cert 3 educator starts in the industry they should be given an opportunity in order to gain more experience. Otherwise there will be a lot of inexperienced Cert 3 without jobs since all centres want experienced educators! If you're not giving a chance..

So glad to hear that it has all worked out for you! I hope you enjoy your new Centre! And kudos to you for sticking with it!! Your persistence paid off!

Lorina

SakuraChelle
Participator
Participator

Post by SakuraChelle » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:15 pm

Congratulations on finally getting a job!

I had a similar issue when I first tried getting into the industry. Took about 2 years for me too. Most places I applied to never even responded to my application. Mostly I think it was because I was about 20 with no work experience, but also because pretty much EVERY job application asks for experience. So many centres just aren't willing to let people get the foot in the door & get that experience. It frustrated me so much because how was I meant to get the experience if none of them would give me a chance.

I wish you all the best with your new job & hope it works out well for you :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:27 pm

It's such a shame to see many eager educators that want to work yet not given the opportunity due to having no experience!!! Where are you going to start if you're not given the chance!!

Lorina