I thought everyone had to be qualified to work in this field now?

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Barbie
Participator
Participator

I thought everyone had to be qualified to work in this field now?

Post by Barbie » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:46 am

What on earth is going on in this industry. I made a career change back to the field after a few years having left a decent paying office job and moving to an area that has multiple childcare centres on every street. So i live off lousy $200 a week austudy while i bust my gut to do my Cert III and have now signed up for diploma yet all the Certificate III jobs i saw earlier in the year that made this career seem promising are now non existant.

I rock up to my placement centre and maybe 4 out of 15 people actually have what i thought was the minimum qualification of Cert III. As the unpaid student i found myself helping the paid workers with their same schoolwork that i was miles ahead with and they have been just sitting on the first book for god knows how long.

I am now convinced that this new NQF is just a big farce. The parents and public believe the centres will now only employ qualifieds yet in fact all the centres have done is sign up all their non qualifieds for a cheapo $200 correspondance govt funded course and these people aren't even doing any of the work they are just sitting on the first module. They dont pay them as Cert III rightly so but it has taken jobs from those of us who have actually completed their Cert III's as there are now no assistant positions.

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Re: I thought everyone had to be qualified to work in this field now?

Post by Macoola » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:58 am

Yeah I have found that as well does anyone know when the cut off is. I was told by my Tafe teacher there would be a cut off date by which all child care workers (assistants) must have completed their cert 3, but I havn't heard what the actual cut off date is yet?

Barbie
Participator
Participator

Re: I thought everyone had to be qualified to work in this field now?

Post by Barbie » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:09 am

I dont pay much attention to it as they are saying by 2014 everyone will have to have diploma as well what they really should say is everyone has to be enrolled in diploma because thats all it is really.
It should be everyone has to have SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED their qualifications not just enrolled.

By the way i'm not referring to casual agency jobs as i know they are flooding out Seek with their roles and shock horror even advertising free Certificates and Diplomas completed in 6 classes pfft