How to start my career in Childcare

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
sappy

How to start my career in Childcare

Post by sappy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:22 am

Greetings child lovers,
I am very glad that I have found this childcare network that seems to answer almost every matter.
Introducing myself, I am a 24 years old female recently moved to Melbourne on a temporary work visa with unconditional permit and will be soon applying for a permanent residence. I have done Masters in Computing Systems from United Kingdom, but then I have decided to change my career to childcare. So, I have done a Diploma in Pre and Primary Teacher Training.
As I dive into job search , I am all confused. I have recently got my Wor king With Children Check and First Aid level 4 certificate. Unfortunately I have no local experience and have no references from similar field. I am all set with the diploma, wwcc and First aid certificate but can't find any entry level jobs.
Can someone please suggest me what kind of entry level roles should I look for. Is there any job agency you suggest?
Any suggestions or introductions will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in anticipation,
Sappy

Lorina

Re: How to start my career in Childcare

Post by Lorina » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:47 pm

Hi Sappy,

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

I'm Lorina - You will see me around the forum a lot! Happy to help out in any way I can!

In regards to your Diploma did you complete that in the UK? If so, before you can actually begin working in childcare you will need to have it assessed against the Australian qualification to see if you can use it while working in a childcare centre here.

Where did you complete your Diploma qualification?

Do you have any references from UK while working with children?

How long have you worked in childcare previously (doesn't have to be in Australia)?

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:48 pm

Sorry about the questions, just need to gather some more information about you so I can advice you the best way to approach this!

Lorina

sappy

Post by sappy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:02 pm

Hello Lorina.

I have done my Diploma in PRE and Primary Teacher Training from India, Asian College of Teachers. It is also accredited by the London School of Teachers and is accepted in Australia aswell.

Coming to the experience part, I have no official experience which I suppose will be a major problem :sweating:

Can you please guide me through this.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:06 pm

Have you got your qualification accredited to use in Australia?

I would probably recommend getting an assistant educator position just because at this stage you don't have any experience... So, putting you in the Diploma qualified room leader position it will probably be a little overwhelming for you.

Have you thought about doing casual work?

Lorina

sappy

Post by sappy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:24 pm

Hello Lorina,
I haven't got my qualifications accredited yet but I am very sure they are officially accepted in Australia.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will start looking for the assistant educator vacancies.

I would love to start with casual work. Can you please suggest any agencies in this aspect. I am wondering if there is any better way than the agencies.
And yeah, Lorina you are right now being the best help. Thank you :thumbup:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:31 am

Ok, in regards to your qualification you will need to get it assessed before you can even begin to look for work. The modules in the in the qualification here are based on Australian Regulations, laws, ethics etc. so it will be different from what you have done overseas. For example working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities, learning about the National Regulations and the Code Of Ethics etc.

If Australia there is a minimum requirement for all educators working in childcare to have at least a cert 3 qualification so as I mentioned you will need to have your qualification assessed before looking for any work....

I suggest you get your qualification assessed first as you cannot work in child care without getting your qualification approved:

Qualifications Assessment Form For Individuals

Good Luck!

Lorina