How to start a child care in Sydney

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
alyssagardiola

How to start a child care in Sydney

Post by alyssagardiola » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:11 pm

Hello everyone,

I am currently in my 2nd year of university and I have always had the passion with children and I have always wanted to start a business. I would love to start my own child care centre or a family daycare in Sydney, Australia but since I am very young I do not know who to talk to or how to start a business. Can anyone please help me on the preparations that I need to start a child care in Sydney. This way I would have an idea on what to do so that when I graduate I would be able to start my own child care (or at least keep working to earn the money I need to start one)

Thank you! This means a lot to me :)

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: How to start a child care in Sydney

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:16 am

There are companies that can help with starting a childcare. Probably a number of things you need to think about - are you wanting to build one? or take over an existing running business? (in which case you can search for childcare centres for sale - there are specific sites) eg http://www.childcareconcepts.com.au/sales/
It is not an easy task, I know as I wanted to do the same but there is A LOT of money & red tape involved.
You may need investors as it is certainly not going to be cheap
http://www.startupsmart.com.au/planning ... 02152.html
Just Google - setting up childcare NSW and you will find info

Personally as being in the industry for 15 years and having Director's experience I would suggest graduating and getting some childcare management experience as just because you have an EC degree will not mean you can run and manage a business effectively, management skills are a world away from what you do in a classroom to the point even with Directors experience I am thinking of doing a Cert III or IV in Small Business Management myself

Lorina

Re: How to start a child care in Sydney

Post by Lorina » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:21 pm

You will find that after working in the childcare industry you begin to get a better understanding and an idea on how you could own your own childcare centre. Doing things differently, providing better resources, organizing the environment for better learning these are all ideas that you begin to have while working and gaining experience within childcare centres. However, running and owning your own centre is a mammoth challenge and extremely expensive! From employing the right staff to cover ratios to making sure there is enough space for the number of children your licensed for it's a very long process. Even though once you get things up and running which could take a few years itself it's very rewarding...

You can also think about having an FDC if buying a centre is way over budget. I'm not too sure exactly how it all works since I've only worked in LDC but from what I briefly know you work in your own home providing care for 5 or so children per day. Basically similar to LDC although you're by yourself and it's at your home...

Here is some more info posted in another topic on this forum on opening up a child care centre:

opening new childcare centre next year ?

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A