From FDC to Center Based Care

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
LindyT
Coach
Coach

From FDC to Center Based Care

Post by LindyT » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:13 am

Hi all,
My thoughts are once again turning to moving to Centre Based Care.

Earlier in the year I applied for a Centre Based position.
The only thing that let me down (I was savvy enough to ask for feedback post interview) was my lack of 'Working With Others'. Was told in every other way I was perfect for the job.

By nature FDC is a solo occupation. You make each and every decision for yourself. Solve every problem yourself. I thought this would be a plus having a team member that could think for herself :giggle:

How could I up skill myself to make myself more saleable moving from FDC to CBC?

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Re: From FDC to Center Based Care

Post by catchmeifucan » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:27 pm

You can try and give a positive spin to it. For example: "why do you wanna move from FDC to CBC? FDC has helped you in learning a lot from running and managing a centre, how to deal with children, managing time and paperwork, dealing with parents, following up on fees, etc.. etc.. But what you do miss is working together with other staffs and collaborating together with other educators at a centre. That is something you cherish and looking forward to in CBC." I don't know... Maybe something like that?

How many centre did you try before? Have you worked at a CBC before you became a FDC carer?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:57 pm

Hi Lindy,

Telling you that you have no experience working with others as part of your downfall I think is really unfair. It’s not like you don’t interact with others at all. You’re an adult not someone who is not part of the society with no social interactions! Oh well it’s their loss since I think you will be such an asset to have at a centre!

The only option I can think of is to work at a centre as a casual but then this would mean you would have to stop your FDC completely....

If centre’s don’t give you a go how can you prove that you can work in a team? They would rather hire someone completely useless with no experience rather than you that has run and managed practically your on educational setting... :evil:

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:05 pm

Did they go into any detail in what ways do you not work with others?
Was it in communication? documentation?
I find it hard to believe that you would be in this situation!!! Obviously there would be a certain time it would take to get accustomed to the change and yes working with others but what about people who have never worked before at all? I mean they learn teamwork and all that and are given time so why weren't the same allowances made for you?