Exploring Options

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Exploring Options

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:04 pm

I feel like I need a challenge and thus the reason I am doing my degree, however work wise I am just feeling blah at the moment so exploring options.
Was thinking on the lines of Tafe teacher or a teachers aide, however I am not sure what the requirements are for these jobs.
Has anyone done anything like this and point me in the right direction.
Any help, advice would be appreciated

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Re: Exploring Options

Post by LindyT » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:20 am

Hi Fefe,

I have worked as a Teachers Aide. While it was stimulating and exciting I found it was very limited as you couldn't run with your ideas for the child/group you were working with.

Tell me in an 'ideal' world what do you see yourself doing??

Have you looked into Family Daycare? (Plug Plug) I could see you as a Child Development Officer or Coordinator!! Or one amazing Educator!!

:)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:13 pm

Hi Fefe,

Nice to hear from you! How's things?

Well, with exploring your options do you still want to continue working with children as in working in a childcare centre or do you want to work as part of a management team (like working as a part of a head office). I had a look at the TAFE teacher idea you had and you need to complete a certificate in assessment and training as well as have a degree... Also, I agree with Lindy's comments on being a teachers aide. I don't think it will full-fill you entirely...

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:47 pm

Long term I think I would like to move out of the classroom, I love being with the children but I just need to move on and up, however I would still like to have something to do with what goes on in the room IYKWIM

I didnt really like the teachers aide idea but someone just mentioned it to me.

I think being management may be something I would like to do.

Its been 15 years working in rooms with kids and I just need a change, a challenge, something else. Even doing the degree I am rethinking...as maybe I will just move into a purely management type position

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:28 pm

May be you should try out some Coordinator positions. I think that may be the next level up.

Being in management can also be another option. But I am not a big fan of management. Mainly because I just dont like a lot of people I've come across who works in management. They do bugger all and sit in front of a computer sending bossy emails to everyone. :giggle: Although the pay is good, I just think working in management is nothing really special for an early childhood professional or a teacher. it can also be a pretty boring job. You may be a lot more of an asset as a teacher I think...Also once you complete your bachelor degree, a lot more opportunities will open up for you as well as job availabilities since many centres looks for co-ordinator who are ECT. Anyhow, wish you all the best and tell us know things shape up for you.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:01 pm

Thanks I will keep you updated