Diploma student looking to apply for childcare position

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
kylie2676

Diploma student looking to apply for childcare position

Post by kylie2676 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:50 pm

Hi all,

I did have a quick browse of the topics and couldn't find what I am about to ask.

Basically, I am studying a diploma of early childhood education and care and have completed my first work placement. I have not studied my certificate III and have read many a time that once you have finished your first work placement in the diploma course you have completed the equivalent of a certificate III.

I have just found a position that doesn't weigh their decisions based on qualifications or experience which is rare and I am considering applying.

My question is, with my current qualification (or lack there of) what pay grade would I be? I am very keen to apply and want to at least land an interview therefore my follow up question is: am I shooting myself in the foot by thinking that it is a good idea for me to mention that I would be happy to accept a position and be contracted for a 12 month period where I would be paid as a certificate III qualified educator?

I am in the final stages of completing my diploma and am only in need of finding a centre that will accept me as an online TAFE student and has the time for me. But ultimately I would like to gain paid experience in childcare rather than continuing to work in Outside School Care for at least the next 5 months just so I can meet the typical required criteria of someone with paid experience working with children.

Hoping that all made sense and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this

Thanks - Kim

Lorina

Re: Diploma student looking to apply for childcare position

Post by Lorina » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:35 pm

Hi Kim,

What position is this for? A room leader or an assistant position?

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Re: Diploma student looking to apply for childcare position

Post by Lorina » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:43 pm

Also, even though you haven't technically finished your Diploma, you may qualify for a Diploma educator if you meet the following requirements:

The requirements for actively working towards an approved qualification are:
-being enrolled in a course for the qualification
- having commenced the course
- making satisfactory progress towards completion
- meeting the requirements to maintain enrolment
- holding an approved certificate III qualification OR having completed the approved certificate III units

Ref: Working Towards A Qualification

Have you completed the approved cert 3 units?

I wouldn't advise that you openly say that you would be happy to be paid as a cert 3 qualified educator... Even if this is for an assistant educator position a Diploma qualified educator earns a little more than a cert 3 qualified educator as an assistant.

:geek:,
Lorina