Did having your own children make you question your childcare career?

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
FionaC85

Did having your own children make you question your childcare career?

Post by FionaC85 » Tue May 15, 2012 1:46 pm

I am a mum of one and hoping to add one more child to our family in a couple of years. I Have been in childcare for 7 years and have always loved it. I went back to work when my daughter was 15 months and was so excited to start a new job and for a while it was going great. after a little over a year I got burnt out and felt guilty working and had some issues with my director and ended up resigning to re prioritise my life. I am questioning whether or not to go back to work in the field. I am very good at my job, smart dedicated and focussed and I was going places within my career. All around me I am encouraged by my family and friends to continue on with it because I am good at it but I'm not so sure. I am not ashamed to say I am scared to go back but is that all it is?

Anyone else go through this at all? I would really appreciate your feedback

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Re: Did having your own children make you question your childcare career?

Post by LindyT » Thu May 17, 2012 12:31 pm

Hi FionaC85

What specifically concerns you?

I find you definitely need that work/life balance.
Yes it is hard work
Yes it takes up a lot of your time and energy
BUT
Seeing a child progress because you helped then, the hugs, the smiles, the shared experiences all make it worth while.
I am in FDC and love the fact I can choose my hours and my days. Could this be a new avenue for you??

justme

Post by justme » Mon May 21, 2012 9:38 pm

I think if you are questioning your committment to early childhood then maybe you are ready for a change.

After having my boy 9 years ago I felt like I could relate to the parents so much more and share so much with them.

I have questioned my committment to the profession after having 2 really bad expereinces with privatly owned centres, however i am now enjoying my job again. I think you need to find a centre that fits in with your values and beliefs.

rooneyzeus

Post by rooneyzeus » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:51 pm

Well it depends on the age of the kids I guess. If the kid is too young then he should be given enough time but if the kid is quite grown up then I think a career can be started and done.

FionaC85

Post by FionaC85 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:41 pm

Thanks for the replies to this. It felt like a bit of a sensitive subject to say out loud, but I needed to. I have had 4 months off, away from the industry and I am feeling rested and rejuvenated and have had a great time with my little girl. She has started in childcare herself one day a week and loves it. This centre is great and I love seeing what the team there to each week. This has lit a little spark in me. My mum is a childcarer studying her diploma and I am helping to teach her. The more I help her now the more the passion comes back. I'm ready again to go back and it feels good! I used to work for a growing company with corporate ideals. but the majority of my career has been in small private centres which i love. no middle men to mess things up. I already have an interview next week. they want full time but have said they think they can make it work with me so im pretty excited. It feels good, I even set up my home office and got out my resources I had packed away.