Cert11 or 111 for International Student?

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
waterbean89

Cert11 or 111 for International Student?

Post by waterbean89 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:18 pm

Hello,
I am planning to move to Australia in August this Summer.
I recently graduated University in Korea, majored in Psychology. mostly took the Development Psychology classes, also have Teaching License.(National)

I was wondering I could get ECE certificate level 2 or 3 with my major and experiences?
I took almost of classes in Univ for Development Psychology because I was always dreaming about becoming a Childhood Educator.
and have 1 year of experience at an English Institute (age under 8)
but since this major is not exactly the one ACECQA want, considering take an online course for get this certain certificate if it is necessary.

Do you think If I apply for the certificate with my major&experience, I could get any level of ECE certificate?
One more question, Could I apply by myself to see I am suitable for this certificate at ACECQA by online?

Thank your for your time and will wait for your wise answers.

Regards,
Subin Lee

Lorina

Re: Cert11 or 111 for International Student?

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:48 am

Hi Subin,

Welcome to Aussie Childcare Network! and advance welcoming to the land down under! :wave:

I'm not too sure if ACECQA will consider your major as part of a relevant qualification. Just because with developmental psychology there are a range of different topics compared to what you will be studying in the childcare qualification here. There may be similarities in regards to child development but overall your major doesn't cover the majority of the units. This is why you will probably need to complete the necessary qualifications here before working as an educator.

Instead of doing a cert 3 qualification I recommend you do the Diploma. You can go straight into the Diploma course without having to do the cert 3 units as a pre-requisites. With a diploma you can gain a room leader position within a centre because it is a higher qualification and you can get more job opportunities as well...

You mentioned you have 1 year experience in an English institute, you could probably use your experiences and your knowledge you have gained through your major to RPL some units within the diploma course itself. RPL basically is "recognition of prior knowledge". So, instead of completing an assignment for that specific unit, if you provide enough evidence then you can pass the unit without having to complete the necessary assignments.

Since your major is not on the approved list then you have the option of getting your overseas qualification assessed. ACECQA will determine whether or not your qualification is sufficient to already be an approved educator to be able to work in a centre. I am providing more information here:

Qualification Assessment Guidelines

Please note there is a fee of getting your qualification assessed. It's AUD $102.00/.

If you are concerned that your qualifcation doesn't meet ACECQA's requirements, it's best to contact them before submitting your application.

I hope I've answered all your questions and if you have any more please feel free to ask and I'll help you out as best as I can.

I understand what a big decision it is to move here and it's good that you are getting all your information done beforehand. :thumbup:

Best of Luck,

:geek:,
L.A

waterbean89

Post by waterbean89 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:16 pm

Thank you so much about your quick and efficient answer, L.A!
I am thrilling about move to another country, but at the same time, very nervous..
I will keep in mind what you mentioned.
thanks again!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:41 am

No problems! Happy to help! :mrgreen:

Wish you all the best with your future endeavours!

:geek:,
L.A