Career Change ECT

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
PollyBess

Career Change ECT

Post by PollyBess » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:37 pm

Hi all,

I'm new here and really enjoying exploring the forum posts - there's a wealth of information out there!

I would appreciate some advice re retraining as an ECT. I'm in my 40s, have a non-teaching degree and am interested in working in prior-to-school rather than school environments. I am currently organising work experience with a local preschool.

It appears there are 2 pathways I could take. Firstly via a graduate-entry EC teaching degree (I'm looking at the Bachelor in Early Childhood Learning through Charles Darwin Uni) or secondly via a Dip. ECEC plus 1-year add-on B. Teaching (eg through CSU or UNE). Any comments or experiences would be helpful.

Could I also confirm that my entry-level wage would be around $16.75 per hour whilst retraining, and that this would increase once I'd completed 50% of my EC degree (ie as a 'Working Towards' teacher)? Apologies as I realise this has been discussed previously; I'm still a bit confused re pay rates and levels.

Thanks in advance for your assistance :)
Cheers, Polly.

Lorina

Re: Career Change ECT

Post by Lorina » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:11 am

Hi Polly,

Welcome to Aussie Childcare Network! :wave:

I am going to provide you with some information that is available on ACECQA in regards to the Early Childhood Teaching qualification:

http://www.acecqa.gov.au/early-childhoo ... ifications

Here is some information actively working towards a qualification:

http://www.acecqa.gov.au/actively-worki ... lification

From what I understand when you are "actively working towards" you wont be counted as an ECT until you have completed the qualification... You will just be used to meet minimum ratio requirements needed for the centre. So, I don't think you will receive an ECT role until you are ECT qualified... I don't meant to confuse even more but you can check out the link above for more info...

:geek:,
L.A

PollyBess

Re: Career Change ECT

Post by PollyBess » Sat May 24, 2014 11:07 am

Hi Lorina,

Thanks for your reply, the links were really useful. I realise that I have a lot to learn before becoming an ECT, so happy to remain an assistant until I'm qualified. My question was more about whether my rate of pay would increase as I worked towards completion of the degree; as people have already mentioned $16.75 per hour isn't a lot when you have a mortgage etc. I have spoken to a couple of ECTs since my original post; both have suggested studying via the cert 3 - diploma - degree pathway (rather than straight into the degree) as I would then be eligible for an increase in pay as each qualification is completed.

Thanks again for your help.