Bringing your child to work

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
kells

Bringing your child to work

Post by kells » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:13 pm

Hi all,

I've just been offered a position at a brand new centre. My daughter currently attends a Family Daycare but I had already been thinking of moving her to a centre. My new employers are fine with me enrolling her there.

I'd just like to hear from people who've worked in the same centre their children attend. How did it work out?

Thanks!

Lorina

Re: Bringing your child to work

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:08 pm

How old is your child?

:geek:,
Lorina

kells

Post by kells » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:21 pm

She's 2.5. Eventually I'll be working in the 3-5 room but the centre's just opened so right now all children are grouped together.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:33 pm

I think it will be hard for your child to see you with other children. Even if you work in another room she will see you there and want you to be with her and it will be hard to say no as you're there to work. Maybe when she is a little older you could move her to the same centre but I just think at 2 and a half years old jealousy could play a big factor.

Lorina

Miranda C

Post by Miranda C » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:23 am

Hello, I work in a centre that is really supportive about employee's children attending. I first began to work there when my son was ten months old (still breastfeeding and all!), he will be three in January and on the whole it has been a very positive experience. Plenty of my colleagues have children of all different ages attending, and I think that they would agree also. It's nice to be able to give your child a hug if they're particularly upset (or to let them come into your room for a little while sometimes). Lorina is right about the age factor though, lord knows two and a half year olds are hard to handle at the best of times. You can always give it a try, it might be a blessing that you are all in the same room as you both settle in. Will you be receiving a discount on the child care fees? That alone could make it worthwhile! Best of luck xx

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:11 pm

Miranda C wrote:Hello, I work in a centre that is really supportive about employee's children attending. I first began to work there when my son was ten months old (still breastfeeding and all!), he will be three in January and on the whole it has been a very positive experience. Plenty of my colleagues have children of all different ages attending, and I think that they would agree also. It's nice to be able to give your child a hug if they're particularly upset (or to let them come into your room for a little while sometimes). Lorina is right about the age factor though, lord knows two and a half year olds are hard to handle at the best of times. You can always give it a try, it might be a blessing that you are all in the same room as you both settle in. Will you be receiving a discount on the child care fees? That alone could make it worthwhile! Best of luck xx
Thanks for sharing your experience with us! I'm happy to hear that you are able to work and have your child with you as well! So, you basically get the best of both worlds! It must be nice to be able to see your child whenever you can while you're working and since you had stated off at 10 months old he must of settled into the routine rather comfortably! :thumbup:

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:13 pm

Miranda C,

A couple of questions I was wondering -

1) Have you had your child with you in the same room? If yes, how did that go?

2) Are educators more cautious/aware when dealing with child since your there at all times?

Lorina

Miranda C

Post by Miranda C » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:27 pm

Hi Lorina,

1) I have never had Dylan in a room with me (will do when he's 4+), although my friend had her son with her in the Kindy room (3-4 yrs) and after a short settling in time he seemed to understand the difference between being with mum at work and with her at home.

2) I'm not sure if it's a case of being more cautious, but the other educators definitely develop a very strong bond with each other's children as they grow through the rooms. I think it's a case of feeling very comfortable with their mums so communication becomes deeper. They (the children) tend to have their behaviour checked by everyone too haha.

We are lucky, in our centre it works well and benefits everyone :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:25 pm

It's great your centre is so supportive of each educator's family. It's not often you find a centre that will been so forthcoming, encouraging educator's to bring their children as long as well! It seems like you have a really good centre! :thumbup:

Thanks again definitely something to think about!

Lorina