Back To Child Care - Obtained Cert 3 Over 5 Years Ago

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
MagicalMoments

Back To Child Care - Obtained Cert 3 Over 5 Years Ago

Post by MagicalMoments » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:38 am

Hi Everyone,

I obtained my Cert III nearly 6 years ago and barely used it. (Other than applying some of the knowledge to our child's life).
I made the decision when our child was born to stay at home with my little one until s/he was settled in at school. Now this has happened I am looking to get back to business.

So my questions are:
Where do I go from here?
What else do I need before I can apply?
Do I need a Supervisor certificate? Or do I obtain this after applying?
What position should I apply for?

I am thinking volunteer or lunch float, as I will be able to further my experience, update my knowledge and skills. (With a view of doing my diploma).
Good or bad idea?

The steps I have already taken are:
Obtained my First Aid certificate.
Printed off a blue card application forms. (Filled in my parts).
Looked through my old notes. However I do understand a lot of the information I have has changed. (I have updated some).
And have done up most of my resume and cover letter.
I will be further researching EYLF and NQF

Or am I completely on another planet?

Thank you for your time and responses in advance. :)

(I forgot to mention I am in Queensland).
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Back To Child Care - Obtained Cert 3 Over 5 Years Ago

Post by Lorina » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:20 am

Welcome Back to the industry!

At first you would need to see if your qualification is on the approved qualification list. Meaning if it's on the list than you are still a qualified worker and you can get a job. I'm providing you with the link for you to check:

http://www.acecqa.gov.au/Certificate-II ... ifications

So, if your qualification is approved then you can start applying for a position. As a cert 3 qualified your position is an assistant to the room leader. When you are looking for jobs you start looking through cert 3 positions. You can also probably look into before and after school care which are split shifts (morning and afternoon) if you prefer. Will you being looking for full time/part time work? Casual work is also available however it's probably beneficial doing this through an agency to get a chance to work at a variety of centres..

I think you probably got all you need blue card, first aid etc. to start applying for a position. Just make sure you understand the EYLF and NQS. You will not be drilled about this since you are only be applying for an assistant position but you will need to have knowledge about it. Also it's a good idea to read up on the laws and current regulations as this will give you a better understanding of what is expected within a centre and from all educators within a centre.

Hope this helps,

Feel free to ask anything else,

:geek:,
L.A

MagicalMoments

Post by MagicalMoments » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:51 pm

Thank you so much for your reply Lorina! It helped greatly!

To keep anyone in the same situation up to date:

I got a little confused on the website, but I am just going to update my certificate and know for sure :D .
My certificate III has been superseded several times. (I was not on the approved list, but I was on the former approved list - The qualifications checker said I was still qualified).
I emailed the TAFE along with the list of completed classes to see what I had to do in order to start my diploma. They sent back two classes I had to do to update my certificate III. When I enrolled in these classes they told me I had to do a third as well, so I am a little confused there, however I am more than happy to do it even if it isn't necessary.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:12 pm

Since the diploma has the cert 3 embedded into it aren't you able to complete the necessary units within the diploma itself?

Do you know the module numbers of the 3 units you have to take?

:geek:,
L.A

MagicalMoments

Post by MagicalMoments » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:08 am

Honestly, I was confused about that myself... So I decided to do as I was told. (I think it makes sense now)

My certificate code is CHC30402 and I need to upgrade it to CHC50113 before I can enrol for the diploma.

The classes I have enrolled in to do so are:
CHCECE001 Develop cultural competence
CHCECE009 Use approved learning framework to guide practice
HLTHIR404D Work effectively - ASTI people

Thank you for your ongoing interest and guidance. :)