Advice from Directors

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Advice from Directors

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed May 16, 2012 7:12 pm

I have just accepted a Directors position and just wanted to get advice from all the Directors out there....any tips?
Im very excited about this step up but as I have never been in a position like this I have no idea what to expect so anything will help me out so at least I am mentally prepared for what I am in for!
:)

Lorina

Re: Advice from Directors

Post by Lorina » Thu May 17, 2012 10:34 am

Once again Congratulations!

I think that being a director is both rewarding and challenging. In my previous job I was able to be a director for awhile before I left to go overseas. My experience as a director was enjoyable but also a challenge as well. It's different from working in a room with children. I spent most of the time in the office throughout the day doing admin duties which mostly involved a lot of paperwork. Also my duties included following up on families interested in  enrolling, showing new parents around the centre, doing fees (but mostly only every fortnight), going through policies, going through regulations, attending meetings, arranging staff meetings, rosters, answering many phone calls from parents as well as suppliers wanting to sell something and of course dealing with staff, which i think can be the hardest of all!

Forming a respectable and professional bond with staff is very important... It's so important that during the first few weeks you'll probably have to be extra nice to the staff at your centre before you begin to lay down the law so to speak. Also vital that you establish open communication and support everyone to work as a team. I'm sure you'll be fine, take each day as it comes... 

How big is the centre where you'll be working? 

Is it a private or corporate centre? 

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Advice from Directors

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu May 17, 2012 5:45 pm

The offer fell through as it was only a contract position for 3 months