12 monthly contract renewel

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
sharnie

12 monthly contract renewel

Post by sharnie » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi I was wondering if anybody has come across this before and would be interested in your views please.
I have been employed in my current position at my center for 20 months, and 3 months ago a new director was appointed and now has presented us all with a new contract of employment to sign as well as informing us that the contract will be renewed every 12 months.
Also any staff training is mandatory and staff will no longer be paid for attending. Basicly I was told if you dont attend then you will be made to attend again in your own time and at your own expense. Is this fair in everyone's opinion.
Would love to hear any views on this, thanks for reading, sharnie.

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Re: 12 monthly contract renewel

Post by LindyT » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:51 pm

I work in FDC and we sign a new contract every 12 months.

We don't get paid to attend Professional Development (Training) and if we don't attend the Mandatory training we have to pay for it ourselves and during our own time. So nothing new for me there.

haveachat

Post by haveachat » Tue May 22, 2012 9:55 pm

Did a new employer take over when the Director commenced. Were you payed out all your entitlements such as your Annual Leave. If not then you should not be asked to sign a new contract every 12 months and your entitlements will still remain. What they have effectively done is ceased your previous employment contract and placed you on a new contract of employment. Does this mean that you are now on a probationary period again. In my opinion your employer is not allowed to do this without paying out all your entitlements prior to placing you on the new contract. It could mean that your previous length of service is not recognised and your commencement date may start again. I suggest you contact someone who know about your rights at work, maybe your union, United Voice and ask for their advise.

sharnie

Post by sharnie » Wed May 23, 2012 5:08 am

Thank you for your advice x