Scenario: The Smiths - Complaints Policy

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
ilanafritz
Participator
Participator

Scenario: The Smiths - Complaints Policy

Post by ilanafritz » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:56 pm

My name is Anne. I am struggling with the Childcare Certificate III Course. I need to complete the theory tasks.
What is the objective of a Complaints policy?
I need to look up Complaints Policy Blue Bay Early Learning Centre (2012) before I could answer a Scenario. I was unable to find Complaints Policy Blue Bay Early Learning Centre (2012)
Scenario
Complaint
Elliot Smith (4.4 years) attends education and care 5 days per week. The Smiths are solicitors and both parents work long hours. Elliot is usually collected from the service by his grandmother. Elliot's behavior is becoming increasingly defiant towards educators and aggressive towards peers. The educator, Lee has made several attempts to share his concerns with the Smiths but because they are too busy Lee has made little progress.
Today Mr Smith arrives at the children's service to collect Elliot. Lee can't recall Mr Smith ever collecting Elliot.
Mr Smith approaches Lee "I want to talk to you about feedback I had had about my son. In fact I want to make a formal complaint."
Lee asks Mr Smith to accompany him to the office where they can talk privately.
Lee "Can you tell me the nature of your complaint?'
Mr Smith "I sure can. At a dinner party the other nights I was told by two different parents whose children are in Elliot's group that Elliot is badly behaved and always in trouble. If this is true why haven't my wife and I been told?"
Lee "I'm sorry you had to hear that Mr Smith. Elliot's behaviour is a concern. He can be extremely negative and aggressive. I did try to discuss this with you several times."
Mr Smith "Well you obviously didn't try hard enough. You could have emailed me to make an appointment for use to see you. Now I have to deal with other people talking about my son."
Lee "Actually Mr Smith I asked your wife to meet with me to discuss Elliot's behavior on several occasions but she has not had the time to talk to me. In fact I sent her an email just last week to remind her to make a time with me to sit down and talk."
Mr Smith "My wife didn't mention any of this. Why wouldn't she tell me? You're making this up to cover yourself. I want to speak to the Director"
The question is
Using the Blue Bay Model Complaints Policy as a guide list the steps that Lee needs to follow to address a parent complaint

Another question is
What information might the Director seek before meeting with the Smiths?
Last edited by Lorina on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lorina

Re: Scenario: The Smiths - Complaints Policy

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:58 am

Here is a copy of the policy you are after:

Blue Bay Complaints Policy

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

ilanafritz
Participator
Participator

Post by ilanafritz » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:08 am

Lorina wrote:Here is a copy of the policy you are after:

Blue Bay Complaints Policy

Hope this helps,

Lorina
Hi Lorina
Thank you very much at helping me to send me the policy.
Regards
ILANA

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:06 pm

No problems Ilana!

Lorina

ilanafritz
Participator
Participator

Post by ilanafritz » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:56 pm

Hi Lorina
Would you be so kind to let me know are you living in Sydney? If you do live in Sydney can you recommend me a teacher who knows about Childcare Certificate III to help me with the theory tasks and also work placement tasks, please.
Thank you.
Regards
ILANA

ksengar
Participator
Participator

Post by ksengar » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:46 pm

with the same scenario:
What improvements could the centre make in regards to communication and privacy?

please help in answering

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:12 pm

If the email does not get a response, ring the parent and talk to them about a meeting.
If one parent doesn't seem to respond, contact the other parent.
Be more assertive, let parents know that there is an issue that needs to be discussed.

Lorina