Running Record & Learningstories CHCIC3O1D CHCPR303D

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Sadie1

Running Record & Learningstories CHCIC3O1D CHCPR303D

Post by Sadie1 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:06 pm

hi there im a little bit stuck on a question im doing atm, iv tried to answer as much as i can would be great if i could get some help please.

i have to document a running record of a child for 5 min & then analyse the information.
i have done this...

Jack walks over to the bike and attempts to sit on it swinging his right leg over the seat first. He sits down on the seat and pauses- he looks around at the other peers riding the bikes. He places his left foot on the pedal and then his right foot onto the other pedal and begins to pedal the bike. Jack rides around the bike track twice. He gets off the bike and runs over to the slide. He climbs up the slide using 6 big steps to get to the top- he does this with ease and then turns around and slides back down. He then runs over to sandpit and sits down next to a peer. He asks them " can I play"??
Peer says yes and jack picks up a bucket. He places handfuls of sand into the bucket and tells peer" I'm making a cake"- jack stands up with the bucket of sand and walks over to carer and asks " could I have some water please" and shows carer the bucket " I'm making a cake".
Carer says yes and jack walks over to the tap- he uses his right hand to turn on the tap and he places the bucket underneath- he fills up the bucket with water- the bucket overflows and jack laughs. He turns the tap off using his right hand and picks the bucket up with both hands. He holds it steadily as he walks back to the sandpit. He approaches peer in sandpit and says " I got water" and pours the water into the sand. Jack picks up a large spade and mixes the sand and water together. He holds the spade with both hands and mixes using a stabbing motion. He drops the spade and picks up a cake tin and begins to fill up the cake tin with wet sand using his hands until the cake tin is full. He pats the sand down using a flat hand and then says " the cake has to go in the oven". He walks over to the edge of the sandpit holding the cake tin and sits it on the wooden edge. He turns to his peer and says "it's cooking. Jack runs out of the sandpit and over to the swing.

i have then analysed the information..

Jack shows well developed communication and language skills- he was able to communicate with his peer verbally and interactwith confidence. He is able to explainclearly what he is doing and also his intentions. Jack also interacted with his carer asking permission to access water showing awareness of the centre's outdoor limits.
Jack shows an interest in the other children and approaches peers for play.
Jack shows an ability to role play.
Jack is able to ride a bike using pedals
Jack shows well developed climbing skills

Have i done that correctly???

Now i have to attempt to change this information to create a story or learning. This is where i am stuck & i don't no how to change this to a story of learning??? could you please give me an example of how you would do this?

would be so much help!thank you

Lorina

Re: Running Record & Learningstories CHCIC3O1D CHCPR303D

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:38 pm

Hey Nicole,

Your observation includes some great detail and when I read it I feel like I am there, watching Jack playing in the sandpit...LOL... You did a great job with your running record and I'm pretty sure that you got that bit covered! :thumbup:

With your analysis do you need to include Learning Outcomes from the EYLF? I noticed that you haven't put any of them in yet... You may want to check with your course advisor. If you don't need to add the EYLF what you have so far is good...

In regards to Learning Stories, it's very similar to what you have already written in your running record. However, you need to include yourself in the scenario with what you witnessed using "I" statements etc... I think there are already a few forum topics on this site about learning stories so I'll post up the links for you... this should help you out...

Link 1) http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/v ... f=31&t=258

Link 2) http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/v ... f=31&t=462

Link 3) http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/v ... f=31&t=247

If you are still a little confused please let me know and I'll try and get more information for you.

Hope This Helps!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

Brooke1987

Post by Brooke1987 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:10 pm

your running record is really good.
Jack is attempting to ride the bike so he is developing his gross motor skills for example
Balance, co-ordination, spacial awareness, strength, sequencing (moving feet on pedels to get bike moving) and cause and effect.
cooking may be a interest that you can extend on in other areas of play (home corner, cooking experiences with carers ect. )
A learning story is just what u have written in a story format with a picture. Usually underneath the story, educator will write how we will extend on the experience and then what child development we are seeing the child do from the observation/learning story using the Early years Framework outcomes, Practice and principles.

This is a great observation because it covers a lot of Learning outcomes from the Early years Framework book and gives you a lot of direction for where u will go with Jack's interests and development.

Hope that helps :)

Zak

Post by Zak » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:44 pm

Hello I work in oshc
I have to write group learning story
On making cupcakes . If u help me with
This it will be great
Can u plz send me sample , example
Thank u

Zak