Promote Aboriginal Culture - Cultural Safety

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Participator
Participator

Promote Aboriginal Culture - Cultural Safety

Post by Newbie » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:32 pm

Hi :) Just after come feedback and help with question 9 Completely stuck! arrrgghh

Explain how you would involve Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples in your evaluations of your strategies? (50-100 words)

MY Answer
It is important to be aware and respectful of relevant extended family and kinship structures when working with Aboriginal people. Ensure that extended family is included in important meetings and in making important decisions. Some ways to involve Aboriginal families in the organization include: Having a big breakfast inviting the whole community, regular newsletters emphasizing commitment to education for all children incorporating local language translation, ongoing engagement with local Aboriginal community associations and playgroup/ mothers group for Aboriginal parents.

Name 3 possible outcomes that could be measured to see whether there has been an improvement in cultural safety at Gurung. (10-50 words each)

My Answer
Good relationships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families.
2.The level of involvement of the relevant indigenous people. Providing Indigenous people with the opportunity to become involved in decision-making processes.
3. People are accepting and respect cross-cultural and appreciate the diversity and an understanding of cultural safety. Everyone is treated with courtesy and dignity. Everyone respects each other’s culture, language, knowledge, religion and beliefs.

Question 9

Name 2 ways that you could evaluate the programs and services you have designed to increase cultural safety at Gurung against the desired outcomes. (50-75 words each)
Maybe with questionnaires? I don't believe I understand the question.
Completely stuck!

Lorina

Re: Promote Aboriginal Culture - Cultural Safety

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:34 pm

Maybe this can help:

Cultural Safety

:geek:,
Lorina

Participator
Participator

Post by Newbie » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:23 pm

THANK YOU LORINA! I'm moderately confident with my answer. I've been stuck on this subject for ages! gahhh.

Name 2 ways that you could evaluate the programs and services you have designed to increase cultural safety at Gurung against the desired outcomes. (50-75 words each)

MY ANSWER:
1. All individuals are being accepting and showing respect for cross-cultural individuals and appreciate the diversity and an understanding of cultural safety. Everyone is being treated with dignity and courtesy. Everyone respect’s each other’s culture, knowledge, religion, beliefs and language.

2. An improved level of involvement of the relevant indigenous people. Providing indigenous people with an opportunity to become more involved in decision-making processes. As well as an improved relationship with ATSI families.

Also if you wouldn't mind looking over these questions....

QUESTION:
As a result of your evaluation, you learned that not all your strategies to increase cultural safety at Gurung are effective. This is not unusual. Paying particular attention to appropriate engagement with local Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
or cultural brokers, what should you do as a result of these findings?

MY ANSWER:

Racial. Cultural, health and welfare issues can impact negatively on workplace and professional relationships with ATSI co-workers for example, services are often solely or mostly staffed by non-indigenous people. This can strain relationships if Indigenous people have experienced past negative experiences with other community services and there mat be a resulting lack of trust which can cause a breakdown in communication and possible misunderstandings. Non- indigenous staff mat have stereotypical images that may be apparent in their communications.

Explain how you would involve Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples in your evaluations of your strategies? (50-100 words)

MY ANSWER
Aboriginal people usually want to recognize their community obligations and kinship relationships. Involvement should be meaningful. It is important not to present indifferent consultations effort driven purely by process. Develop trust and credibility, allowing time for the decision-making process.
Consultation with Elders and leader in Indigenous communities is essential in the development and implementation of strategies to increase participation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in health and community services delivery. It is critical to observe appropriate protocol when working with Aboriginal people, elders, and communities.
Providing Indigenous people with the opportunity to become involved in community services, health, justice or housing programs gives ownership to local communities and is consistent with their decision-making processes.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:33 pm

Yes! I think you're on the right track with your response! :thumbup:

Good response!

:geek:,
Lorina