CHCRF301D - Strategies Of Introduction Of New Parent & Child Into Care

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
astroboy9679

CHCRF301D - Strategies Of Introduction Of New Parent & Child Into Care

Post by astroboy9679 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:55 am

Hi There My names Mark. I have two modules left until i complete my Certificate III Childrens Services. Can anyone help me out with some information on the following. This is from the module Work effectively with families to care for the child.
A Mother with a three month old has come to the service and is looking at enrolling her son there fulltime. You are the carer on duty. Can anyone help out with information to the following questions. Greatly appreciated. What could you do or say for some of these. Thanks. Mark.

Your initial introduction to parent.
What you do and say to make parent feel welcome and comfortable.
How you acknowledge child and initiate and interact with him.
How you familiarise parent and child with your environment and routines.
The settling in/transition period.
Mothers feelings about leaving son in fulltime care for the first time.
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: CHCRF301D

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:58 pm

Hey Mark,

Yay! Almost finished your assignments..woohoo!! Here are some ideas you can use...

Your initial introduction to parent. / What you do and say to make parent feel welcome and comfortable.

"Hi my name is Mark and welcome to "Rainbow Early Learning Centre" (I just made that centre up btw). I am the room leader (or whatever position) in the nursery room and I will be showing you around the centre today. At the end of the tour I will provide you with an enrollment pack and go over the enrollment form with you and take it from there. Please feel free to ask any questions."

How you acknowledge child and initiate and interact with him.

"This is your little one he is so cute"...just think of a comment to say (if the mother is holding the baby in her arms go near the baby and say hi how are you or if the baby is in the pram do the same or you can tickle his cheek or something).

How you familiarise parent and child with your environment and routines.

When you begin your tour of the centre start at the foyer. Show the parent where they sign in the parent information board, etc. When you go through to the nursery room make sure you introduce the staff to the parent. Show the parent the daily info sheet, go through the daily routines, talk about how you can accommodate the same routine from home to here (if possible) show the sleeping area, nappy change area, playroom environment etc.

The settling in/transition period.

The centre should have a transition period normally 2 weeks before the child is due to start. This means the child comes with the parent and spends a couple of hours (or however long the parent would like) in the room where the child will be looked after. Try and encourage the parent to come in during play time so the baby can get use to staff, however it may not be very difficult coz the baby is only 3 months old.

Mothers feelings about leaving son in fulltime care for the first time.

Reassure the mother and let her know you completely understand her choice. If there are other babies who are at the centre full time make sure you let the parent know, this gives them a little reassurance.

I hope this helps you out with your assignment,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

astroboy9679

Post by astroboy9679 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:50 pm

Thank you so much for your reply it has helped me alot. I really appreciate it. I am the only Male currently at the Centre I am at. Sometimes it can be alot harder being a Male working in Childcare Centres but i really enjoy what i do and have not let that deter me. Thanks again. Mark :D

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:31 am

Hi Mark,

Happy to help!

I'm so happy to hear that there are males working in this industry. You guys bring a whole new dynamic when interacting with the kids and bring a whole new perspective in children's learning especially for the boys...

I have only seen a couple of males working in childcare (I've been in this industry a long time) and I know how much the children idolize males that work in their centre... it also breaks up some of the "cattiness" between women staff at a centre...hehehehehehehe.... :lol:

Good on you :mrgreen: !

What room are you currently working in?

astroboy9679

Post by astroboy9679 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:53 am

Hi Yeah i believe it is good to. You need to have the balance. I currently am across all rooms Babies, toddlers and after school aged care. I like the variety as I am learning and developing. I have had good remarks from most parents, some can still be a little funny. I have a wonderful Director so that makes it even better. I can't wait to obtain the Certificate. It has been a wonderful course and I have learnt so much. And i played Santa Claus at last years Christmas Party.....