CHCCS400A Scenario, Parent makes complaint about your co worker

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

CHCCS400A Scenario, Parent makes complaint about your co worker

Post by Steffelz » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:48 pm

Hey, Ive answered a Scenario question and I was just wondering If anyone could tell me If my answer is any good.
The Question is:
A parent of a four-year-old child comes to make a complaint about one of the other staff members who works in the same room as you. The parent says the staff member ignores her child and often yells loudly at her child. You have also heard your colleague yell at children occasionally.
Detail how you could handle the parent’s complaint.

And my answer is :
The carers inappropriate behavior must be addressed. I would ask the parent if they would like to make a formal complaint so that the situation can be investigated. If they would like to do so, then I would assist them to take the appropriate steps to do so as set out in the centers complaints policy.
It is my legal obligation to report the behavior that I have witnessed to my supervisor.

Any input would be great thanks guys :)

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Re: CHCCS400A Scenario, Parent makes complaint about your co worker

Post by catchmeifucan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:14 am

I may also suggest to the parent to voice their concerns to the director first before making a formal complaint. It can be extremely stressful sometimes when working in childcare and it could just be one of those “bad days”. I’m sure that when the parent talks to the director about what she is seeing from the staff member, the director will then have a talk to the colleague and this issue can be sorted out. Sometimes a simple chat to diffuse the situation is needed and then if the behaviour continues a formal complaint should be the next step.

Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: CHCCS400A Scenario, Parent makes complaint about your co worker

Post by Steffelz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:00 pm

thanks so much