CHCCN302A Observe parents and children on arrival

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

CHCCN302A Observe parents and children on arrival

Post by Steffelz » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:33 pm

Im nearly finished my powerpoint, but Im stuck with one of the topics,
OBSERVE PARENTS AND CHILDREN AND PARENTS ON ARRIVAL
This is what Ive got so far:
"Observing the new child and parent
On arrival to the center can teach us a
lot about the child, the parent, their
family culture and how both parent and
child are adapting to the orientation
Process.

Observing children and parents on arrival allows us to observe any signs of distress in the parent and child.
We learn how children behave in certain situations, and what works and what doesnt when calming them down.
We can determine the emotional wellbeing of children and parents and take note of how both are adapting to the center.
We can learn the childs current level of development, and developing skills and later on we can note any changes in this.
We can get to know each child and their families and learn about their interests, and experiences.
We can start to learn the childs temprement
We can learn about the child and parents needs (emotional and otherwise) and how to meet them in a calm and reassuring manner.
Watching from a distance allows us to use our findings to help establish a routine that will minimise stress for parents and children as well as effectively support and interact with children and families so that they both get the most out of the experience of childcare.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is any good?

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: CHCCN302A Observe parents and children on arrival

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:08 am

I think thats a really good answer, well done.
It funny how such a small thing can give us such a good indication of the childs relationship with the person who drops them off, it also gives us a great insight in to the type of parenting done by the parents ... i know straightaway what type of parent i am dealing with by how they drop their child off
eg the parent who hangs around and stands at the door looking in i know will be the clingy over protective type whereas the one who just drops the child and leaves even if the child is crying i know will probably be more flexible in her outlook and easier to talk about to about the child without her getting defensive

good answer you seem to have covered everything