CHCCN302A

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
sandi28
Participator
Participator

CHCCN302A

Post by sandi28 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:01 pm

sandi28: CHCCN302A Need help with part A or assessment. 'How to tech children, 'Why is exercise necessary' and 'How does exercise affect how body and physical organs such as the heart and lungs function etc.' I am finding this very difficult to explain to pre-schoolers, especially when they can't read yet. understanding and breezing through most modules and assignments but a bit stumped on this one. :?

Lorina

Re: CHCCN302A

Post by Lorina » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:24 pm

Hey Sandi,

It is a bit of a tough topic to discuss with children but I guess you have to use a hands on approach with lots of pictures of the human body, pictures of the different organs inside our bodies, get the children involved and interested... If you go to the library there are great picture books on are body organs for children... I have a magic school bus DVD that takes you inside the human body and shows you what happens... once you gain an understanding yourself then you can find it easier to explain to kids...

Let me know if you need more ideas...

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

sandi28
Participator
Participator

Post by sandi28 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:31 pm

Thanks L.A, I was thinking similar. I have decided to go with the basics; bones, heart, lungs and muscles. I am thinking of using a magnetic board with a body and where the lungs and heart are and talking about muscles, strength and movement. I also will include movement songs about parts of the body. I also need to include an activity for children so I was thinking about a picture matching game which includes all sorts of physical activities for young children like; dancing, jumping, climbing, running, swimming etc. What do you think? :?:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:36 pm

Hey Sandi,

The ideas you have sound great...I especially like the magnetic board activity and the matching game... You know what else you can do... with the cards you use for the matching game, you could incorporate it into a physical game. Just choose a child to choose a card and they have to act out the action and the rest of the group can follow..."Simon says jump" or you could use each child's name instead of Simon... I actually did a topic on the human body with a group of preschoolers a couple of years ago and for the display on a blank wall I made 3 different types of human bodies. The first one had the organs which the children and I made out of different objects and when we stuck it on the wall it created a 3d effect, the second one I outlined the blood vessels and veins in blue and red and covered "blood vessel" and "veins" in glitter, for the final human body I used skeleton bones... This display stayed in the room for a few months because the children were so eager to learn about it and we just kept on adding to it... I love doing displays and once I get an idea I have to make it and work and this was one of my biggest projects... Just thought I'd share! :thumbup:

You have some good ideas that I may steal from you for next time (hint*magnetic board!)!

L.A

sandi28
Participator
Participator

Post by sandi28 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:27 pm

Hi again L.A, Feel free to pinch any of my ideas, that's what this site is for. I have been working on this assignment for a couple of days and I am so proud of what I have eventually come up with I thought that I'd share it with you and in turn share with others. :thumbup: Let me know what you think. :?:

CHC CN302A - Assessment
(A teaching aid to help children understand the relationship between physical activity and good health) By Sandi28

FUNNYBONES
Human Skeleton Teaching Aid for 3 – 5 year olds

How to Make Funnybones
Materials
Computer and printer
6 x pieces of A4 white card stock or
6 x pieces of A4 white photocopy paper
(laminate to make more sturdy)
13 push pins
Scissors
Hole punch
Clear tape

Directions
1. Download and print templates from website;
http://www.thecraftycrow.net/2011/06/a- ... leton.html

2. Cut out and punch out holes. (If you do not have a far reaching hole punch then just use a skewer or similar to make the
further reaching holes.a)

3. Assemble using split pins and sticky tape.

Ways to Use Funnybones
(depending on children’s age and abilities)

1. Children can assemble Funnybones to learn how the human skeleton is designed.

2. Teacher can hang up Funnybones and put the skeleton in different positions. The children can copy positions with their
own bodies. This can be done on the floor as well for more complicated positions.

3. Teacher can hang up Funnybones and sing along with children, the action song ‘Oh Those Bones’.
(Original song is ‘Dry Bones’. I have changed the title and some of the words to make it child friendly and non-religious
so it is acceptable to all.)

Oh Those Bones
Oh those bones, oh those bones,
oh those skeleton bones.
oh those skeleton bones.
oh those skeleton bones.
Oh those bones under there!

The foot bone’s connected to the leg bone,
The leg bone’s connected to the knee bone,
The knee bone’s connected to the thigh bone,
The thigh bone’s connected to the backbone,
The backbone’s connected to the neck bone,
The neck bone’s connected to the head bone,
Oh, those bones under there!

The head bone’s connected to the neck bone,
The neck bone’s connected to the backbone,
The backbone’s connected to the thigh bone,
The thigh bone connected to the knee bone,
The knee bone’s connected to the leg bone,
The leg bone’s connected to the foot bone,
Oh, those bones under there!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:15 pm

Hey Sandi,

Awesome Idea!!! Gonna use that one in the future and I completely forgot about that song! Great Catch!!

L.A