Learn how to filter water with this science experiment.
- 2 Jugs (a cup works as well)
- Kitchen Towel
- Funnel (a sieve works well too)
What to do:
- Mix the dirt and water into a jug/cup.
- Put a piece of kitchen towel into a funnel/sieve.
- Hold the funnel over the other jug/cup and slowly pour the dirty water into it.
The Science Factor:
The kitchen towel acts as a filter. It lets the water through but stops most of the dirt. The water from our taps is filtered through gravel and sand at water treatment works to get rid of dirt. Chemicals are also added to the water to kill any harmful germs that may make us ill.
Hints and Tips:
- Don't drink your filtered water (from this experiment). Use it in the garden or to water house plants.
- There are only a few countries in the world that provide clean drinking water from the tap.