A simple and easy way to teach a child how to sort and recycle plastic cans and paper.
- 3 medium size cardboard boxes (no lid).
- 3 different animal stickers (or) pictures (e.g. lion, giraffe, hippo).
- 1 can
- 1 piece of scrap paper
- 1 plastic cup
What to do:
- This game will help your child to learn to sort and recycle at a young age.
- Place the cardboard box where your child can reach them.
- Put stickers or pictures of your child’s favourite animals on the front of each of the boxes.
- Tell the child that we have to keep the characters fed.
- The lion like cans, the giraffe likes paper and the hippo likes plastic.
- To reinforce this also next to each of the animal stickers/picture,stick the item to be fed to each of the animals. For e.g stick a piece of paper next to the giraffe etc.
- Whenever there is an empty can, paper or plastic to be recycled, let your child place it in the corresponding box.
- This will teach your child to recycle and sort.
Hints and Tips:
- Instead of using animals on each of the cardboard boxes you can use your child’s favourite Disney characters (or) even your child’s favourite colours.
- When the recycling get full, show your child which recycling bin you use to empty out the boxes
- Paint each of the boxes to make it more appealing or cover with re-used wrapping paper.
- Encourage others to use the same recycling system within the household.