Watch a vortex using a piece of toilet paper in a sink full of water.
- A Plug
- A Piece of Toilet paper
What to do:
- Put the plug into the basin/bath.
- Fill the basin with water.
- Float a piece of toilet paper on top of the water.
- Pull the plug out and watch the toilet paper.
The Science Factor:
When you take the plug out of the basin/bath the water does not go straight down but it swirls around it. The swirling is called a vortex. This is why the toilet paper tuns round as the water goes down.
Hints and Tips:
- Don't forget to take the toilet paper out of the plughole.