Support a baby to identifying and recognise different textures.
- Silk Scarf
- Cotton Square
- A piece of Velvet
- Bubble Wrap
- Any object with interesting textures
What to do:
- Lay the different objects across the floor (this can be in a single line or in different parts of the room).
- Sit behind an object and encourage baby to crawl towards it. For example “Look at this, it feels so soft”. As the baby crawls to it and sits up, give it to baby to explore and touch.
- Use words like sticky, soft, smooth, and rough to talk about what you and your baby are feeling.
Hints and Tips:
- Make sure that the textures are safe enough for your baby to manipulate and always watch your baby during this activity.
- You can place these textured objects on your baby’s high chair or even on a low table to encourage your baby to stand.
- Use a feather to tickle your baby’s feet or float a silky scarf across your baby’s face.
- Add these textured objects in a box and help your baby to get them out.
- Using super glue, glue these objects onto a piece of cardboard for baby to explore.
- Baby will put all objects in their mouth during exploration, always supervise during this activity.