A hand print keep sake which includes a poem.
- Colourful paints (red, yellow, purple etc.)
- A piece of A4 white cardboard/thick paper
- Bowls (required for each paint colour)
- A paintbrush (for each paint colour)
- A damp cloth
- A dry cloth
- “My Little Handprints” poem
What to do:
- Keep aside an A4 piece of cardboard for baby.
- Write any of the following poems on the piece of cardboard (or) type and stick it on each piece of cardboard.
Sometimes you get discouraged
Because I am so small
And always leave my fingerprints
On furniture and walls.
But everyday I’m growing
I’ll be grown up someday
And all those tiny handprints
Will surely fade away.
So here’s a final handprint
Just so you can recall
Exactly how my fingers looked
When I was very small
There used to be so many
Of my finger prints to see
On furniture and walls and things
From sticky, grubby me.
But if you stop and think awhile
You’ll see I’m growing fast
These little moments disappear
You can’t bring back the past.
So here is a small reminder
To keep, not throw away
Of tiny hands and how they looked
To make you smile someday.
- Squeeze each paint colour in a separate bowl, add a paint brush and place it on a table.
- Hold baby’s hand. Using the paintbrush paint your baby’s free hands.
- Help baby to make a hand print on the cardboard (under the poem or on either side of the poem). When positioning hand onto the paper, press down firmly to get a hand print.
- Make a print of the other hand.
- Hang it up to dry.
- Wipe baby’s hand with the damp cloth and then re-wipe with the dry cloth.
Hints and Tips:
- A great creative idea to use at a party. Follow the same method as above and each baby can take it home as a keep sake item.
- Be sure to watch your baby, so they don’t put their painted hands in their mouth.
- Once this dries, you could frame it.
- Each birthday do a “hand print” as a memento and to compare growth (you don’t need to use the poem).
- You can even use the "My Hand print Template" available under Templates section in this website which has a designed template for My Handprints and My Footprints with a poem included.