search aussie childcare network

Snake Bite At Queensland Childcare Centre Becomes Fatal For Local Man

  • Written by 
  • Print
Snake Bite At Queensland Childcare Centre Becomes Fatal For Local Man Wikipedia

In March 2024, a local Queensland man lost his life after being bitten by a snake while attempting to remove it from an early childhood service, in Townsville.

Jerromy Brookes, 47, was bitten several times on his arm while attempting to remove a possible eastern brown snake from the Townsville, Queensland, childcare centre, according to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC).

A relative called Brookes, who was not a licenced snake catcher, to assist with removing the snake, according to 9 News.

Following the bite, Brookes packed the snake in his backpack and drove himself to his Deeragun, a Townsville suburb, according to the Cairns Post.

Paula Marten, acting district director of the Queensland Ambulance Service, told the Post that Brookes' wife started CPR and continued it until paramedics arrived.

"Our crews discovered that he was experiencing cardiac arrest," Marten stated.

After that, he was taken to Townsville University Hospital, but 7 News said he did not make it.

Brookes was bitten by the eastern brown snake, one of the most venomous snakes in the world. According to ABC, the snake that bit Brookes was somewhat shorter than a foot in length.

As for brown snakes in Australia, the Australian Museum describes them as an "alert, nervous species" that frequently reacts "defensively if surprised or cornered, putting on a fierce display and striking with little hesitation".

Man Dies After Being Bitten By Snake At Australia Childcare Center: Reports, USA Today, 21st March

Last modified on Thursday, May 30, 2024
Child Care Documentation App

© 2009-2024 Aussie Childcare Network Pty Ltd. All Rights Reserved.