Brisbane City Council is offering a free professional development course for Educators throughout Australia to support their knowledge, skills and resources on sustainable waste practises in a day-to-day centre or service operations.
The course covers four key units:
Unit one: Setting up a Waste Smart Kindy - Learn how to manage the waste at your centre more sustainably.
Unit two: Recycling - Find out what can be recycled and how to encourage recycling within your centre.
Unit three: Compost and worm farming - Set up and maintain a compost bin or worm farms with practical and easy tips from the experts.
Unit four: Munch and Crunch - Discover how to reduce food waste at your centre.
Each unit aligns with the Early Years Learning Framework and the National Quality Standards for early childhood and will include information, suggested activities and videos.
*This course is available for Educators throughout Australia.
**Educators that work within the Brisbane local government area will be posted a Waste Smart Kindy toolkit containing the following items:
- personalised certificate as evidence of your professional development in waste minimisation
- bin stickers for rubbish, recycling and organics bins to help sort waste
- guide to sorting rubbish poster for use in your centre or service’s kitchen or kindy rooms to help staff and helpers correctly sort different waste items
- pop-out Brisbane City Council rubbish truck
- fact sheets for families of your centre or service including Waste Smart Ideas for Families and Waste Smart Lunches.
For more information: Professional Development Course For Educators: Waste Smart Kindy