The video recording of the Big Six Of Literacy What and Why Webinar which was delivered on 4 May 2022, is now available to watch. The webinar consists of the basics of the Big Six Of Literacy and Practical Strategies to use with children.
- Video recording of a Literacy Hub webinar delivered on 4 May 2022.
- Foundational knowledge on the ‘what’ and the ‘why’ of the Big Six of Literacy.
- Summary of why each skill is essential to reading acquisition and how to help students develop each skill.
- Strategies and ideas were shared by educators who attended the live event.
What will you learn?
- The basics of the Big Six of Literacy.
- Practical strategies to use with children.
- Kerrie Shanahan has a strong background in primary and tertiary education. She has written more than 150 student books and teacher resources, specialising in literacy in the early years.
- Aimee Bloom is an experienced teacher and educational leader who is passionate about supporting teachers to deliver evidence-based best practice teaching.
What Is The Big Six of Literacy
Research has shown that there are six key components that contribute to successful beginning reading. Because of the importance of these components, they have become known as the 'Big Six’: oral language, phonological awareness, phonics, vocabulary, fluency and comprehension. In the early years of schooling, literacy lessons will incorporate the Big Six.
To view the webinar: The Big Six Of Literacy What and Why