working as a casual educator for the first time

Questions on working as a casual. Such as job responsibilities, what to do, finding casual work etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Clarence

working as a casual educator for the first time

Post by Clarence » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a diploma qualified educator with only one year experience at a small childcare centre.
After having a break for 10 months due to relocating to country side, I got a job opportunitie to work as casual educator between two small centres(family owned). I am confused with the situation right now. I am very excited to get back into work though!

My question is,

-I haven't have proper job interview yet, just had a small chat on a phone. The director told me that I will have a trial and an interview next week, but soon after she called me again to ask me if I could do paid work for a day instead of a trial...
I am happy to work but feel a bit strange that they hired me without meeting me first....
Is it normal for casual educators????

-I know casual educators are not entitled to annual leave, but am I allowed to take couple weeks leave without pay if I want?
(because I would like to take 3weeks off to see my family in oversea once a year)

I am very excited to get myself back into the childcare industry, because I really enjoy working with children! I would like to do part time in the near future but for now because of my children circumstance, the casual position would work better for me.

I appreciate any advise or tips from anyone for working as a casual educator!

Thank you:)

Lorina

Re: working as a casual educator for the first time

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:49 pm

Hi Again!
I haven't have proper job interview yet, just had a small chat on a phone. The director told me that I will have a trial and an interview next week, but soon after she called me again to ask me if I could do paid work for a day instead of a trial...
I am happy to work but feel a bit strange that they hired me without meeting me first....
Is it normal for casual educators????

Since you are working as a casual yes it is normal to get asked to work straight away instead of waiting for a trial to be done. It's probably better for you since you are getting paid and you can show them your skills etc. so they can call you back.

I know casual educators are not entitled to annual leave, but am I allowed to take couple weeks leave without pay if I want?
(because I would like to take 3weeks off to see my family in oversea once a year)

As a casual, it's entirely up to you when you want to work or don't want to work. It's in your control... however out of courtesy I would inform the centres you are doing casual work for 2 weeks in advance when you are planning to leave.

Just remember that even though you are only a casual you should always try your best and it already sounds like you are a passionate educator! That's great! Get involved with the children and interact well with the staff, show initiative and have fun!

:geek:,
Lorina

Clarence

Post by Clarence » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:18 pm

Hi Lorina,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply! that’s good to hear that it is ok to start working without an interview! I have never employed in this way so was really confused.

Thank you for your advise for taking the leave too. yes I will defenetely let the centre as soon as i can.

i’m a bit nervous to get into the new environment but I am so ready to give my best to the children and centre!

Thank you so much for your support, this website is really helpful😊😊

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:59 pm

It's my pleasure! I'm happy to help where I can! :)

You'll be fine once you find your feet in the new environment after a couple of days!

Let me know how it goes and I'm here if you need anything!

:geek:,
Lorina