Workplacement assessment - reassure me please!

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
lovelymavis

Workplacement assessment - reassure me please!

Post by lovelymavis » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:22 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: Workplacement Cert 3
Your Assignment Type: Other
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
Work placement

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Workplacement

Description and Message:
I am currently doing a work placement which is at the end of my Cert 3 qualification. I have really enjoyed the course but this is my first time doing practical experience and I was scared stiff for the first few days! I did not feel relaxed at all, have settled in a bit better this week. I'm just looking for some reassurance that this is normal and that when I have a bit more experience my personality will start to shine through with my interactions with the children. I'm planning on doing the diploma next year and am questioning now whether I should go on with it.
Thanks for reading.

Lorina

Re: Workplacement assessment - reassure me please!

Post by Lorina » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:51 pm

I can assure you that at the beginning, when working with children it can be nerve wrecking. Especially if you have never done it before! At times you don’t know what to do with the children, don’t know how to help the staff or what to do next!

Don’t worry… it’s completely natural to feel this way. It will take you a few days to settle in and get use to the routine but if you are ever in doubt ask questions to the staff and they will be able to assist you. You’re there to learn and to soak up as much experience as you can, so get as much information and hands on learning as possible.

I’m also going to add an article which you can read called “Childcare Worker’s Duties”, which is available in Resources, under Childcare Professional; This should give you an idea on what is expected of you and what duties you can do in a childcare centre.

Childcare Worker’s Duties

Good Luck,

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Workplacement assessment - reassure me please!

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:02 am

I have been doing this for over 10 years and whenever I start a new job I feel really nervous. You never can be sure what to expect regardless of how much experience you have had. It always takes time to settle in and get to know the children and the staff. I find it takes me a good month before I find myself totally comfortable in a new position.

Just take each day as it comes and if you are nervous about doing something then tell someone so you can talk it over and they can reassure you. Sometimes its just about not knowing if you are doing the right thing.

Give yourself time. I am sure once you start working you will feel more comfortable and happy.