Working as a casual during prac?

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
kells

Working as a casual during prac?

Post by kells » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:22 pm

Hi,

I'm halfway through a Masters and the centre I'm doing my current prac at has asked if I'd like to do casual work there.

Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to work as a casual while I'm doing my placement? Talking more about the days when I'm there for prac anyway - can I also be getting paid and count for ratio if they need staff?

Lorina

Re: Working as a casual during prac?

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:50 pm

I think that there shouldn't be a problem... However if you are working as a casual at the centre, you wont have much time during the day to work on your assignments or tasks. If you are just on prac to get hands on experiences and you don't really have many tasks to complete then working as a casual is fine. When working as a casual though you will need to be there as a worker so time may be limited to get those assignments done. You may want to have a chat with the director on how you can manage your assignments and tasks to complete while you're working... If you do your assignments and tasks at home then there shouldn't be a problem... As long as your getting signed off on your tasks then I think you're good to go!

:geek:,
Lorina

burgerbunz
Participator
Participator

Re: Working as a casual during prac?

Post by burgerbunz » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:51 pm

Hi Kells,
Check with you uni- I am doing my masters too. I picked up casual work after my prac, it was fine as long as it started AFTER my prac and not during, that becomes a conflict of interest if you begin work during your prac. Check with you course coordinator. Heaps of people get offered casual work and I think this shows that you have what it takes to be in the industry, someone can see something in you.

burgs.