Work Experience Worries

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
dayna27

Work Experience Worries

Post by dayna27 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:15 pm

Hi there,

I am enrolled in a Diploma of Early Childhood education and care. My work experience begins next week and I am so nervous about it. I am nervous about not completing all the tasks I am required to do while at the center.

One of them is that I need to show my understanding of being vigilant to any signs of child abuse and/or neglect. How would I go about showing this to my mentor?

Thanks for any help!

Dayna

Lorina

Re: Work Experience Worries

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:38 pm

Hi Dayna,

I understand your going to be nervous and the staff will understand that this may be the first time your working in a centre. You're a studnet, so they will definetly understand! It will only take a couple of days for you to settle within the room and the routine of the room. Once, you become familiar with the environment and get into your own routine then you'll feel more confident.

Utlise the staff to the maximum! Ask questions, observe how they interact with the children, note down all the interesting ideas you notice.. This is a great opportunity to get some hand on experience as this is what it's going to be like while your working in a centre.

If your having trouble understanding a task during work placement, just go over it with your room leader who should be able to help you give you a better understanding. There will be questions that you may not answer such as the example you gave of being vigilent for any signs of child abuse. So in this case you can just let your mentor know what you will do.

Most important have fun! You're going to have a great time!

:geek:,
Lorina

dayna27

Re: Work Experience Worries

Post by dayna27 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:20 pm

Hi Lorina,

Thank you! I will definitely try and ease my nerves. I am mainly worried about failing and not meeting the criteria for each task I am required to complete by December. I will show them my tasks for the legal cluster and voice my concerns. I think after the first day I won't be as nervous.

I just need to breathe! haha :)