Tips for approaching centres for work placement?

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Valerie123

Tips for approaching centres for work placement?

Post by Valerie123 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:18 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone might be kind enough to advise me how best to go about securing a work placement. I'm in South Australia, studying Cert. III by distance through OTEN NSW and I need to arrange my work placement. It is proving quite difficult. I have approached centres in person and over the phone to request work experience and I have either been told no straight out, or I've been told to Email the Centre Director, only to receive no response. I am quite confused because I feel I have done all the right things - I have been polite, well presented, enthusiastic and eager to learn, but I'm getting nowhere. Am I missing something? I am career changing from admin work and am wondering if perhaps I am being too formal? I really don't know.

If anyone has any tips for how best to approach centres to successfully secure work experience I'd be very grateful. Alternatively, if anyone from South Australia knows of any centres who do welcome work experience students it would be wonderful if you could point me in their direction.

Thanks for your time,
Valerie.

Strawberry

Re: Tips for approaching centres for work placement?

Post by Strawberry » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:22 pm

Hi Valerie!

I too will be looking for work experience in the next few weeks as I'm studying at Tafe up here in Queensland, don't be discouraged hearing a few nos here and there :) maybe some centres have a limit to the amount of work experience people they take on a year and have already met the amount. Don't feel too disheartened you'll find something, can the Institute you're taking your Cert III through possibly help you locate a willing Centre? I know some places offer their help if you're struggling finding somewhere. I'm sorry I'm not much help as I'm yet to sail this boat haha, but I wish you all the best in your search and in your studies! :)

Valerie123

Post by Valerie123 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:13 am

Hi Strawberry,

Thanks for your encouraging reply! I think it'd be difficult for TAFE to help me with finding a willing centre as they're based in NSW so are probably unlikely to have any connections to centres here in SA - thanks for the idea though! All the best with finishing off your Cert III and finding your placement - I hope it goes well :)

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:52 am

Usually community based centres are more accommodating as compared to private centres.
If you have a letter from TAFE as well that may add to your credibility too.

randomwally

Post by randomwally » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:56 pm

You might be doing this already, but try treating it like any other job you've tried to get - have a resume & cover letter and sell yourself to them based on your strengths and experience. At least you'll be able to leave behind your name and number. Talk to your family and friends and see if they know someone who can get you in touch with a centre director or owner.

As with most marketing activities (and you are marketing yourself) it's a numbers game. Get through those 99 refusals and find that yes!

Valerie123

Post by Valerie123 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:31 pm

Thanks for the advice fefe76 and randomwally - I really appreciate it! :)

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:56 pm

no problems

meghana

Post by meghana » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:35 pm

Hi Everyone,
Im meghana pursuing my certificate-3 in children services.I almost completed my 10 units. I'm after a work placement,Finding a work placement know a days its very hard.I almost visited all the centres near to my place but i didn't find any placement.I stay in Melbourne,I tried to find in the city even but there are no vacancies for students.It would be great help,if u guys suggest me the places for work placement.

Thanks
Meghan.

CCare Consultant

Post by CCare Consultant » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:29 pm

Hi all,

In regards to work placements I went to seek and other ad agencies and looked for child care centres who were advertising for jobs.
Although I was not after a job at this stage It gave me a good indication as to which centres needed hands!!! also if you do a good job and put in the effort they may even offer you the position they are advertising if you complete your course in time.

Also perhaps look outside the box for placements places such as family day centres can always need hands. Crèche at places like IKEA and large shopping centres or gyms too.

Hope this helps.

Rgs.

daniahf

Post by daniahf » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:25 pm

Hey all,

Have you guys found a placement?? I am in Adelaide too and having the same problem... all centres that I called said that are full already and not taking any students..

Thanks.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:42 am

daniahf wrote:Hey all,

Have you guys found a placement?? I am in Adelaide too and having the same problem... all centres that I called said that are full already and not taking any students..

Thanks.

It's always surprising to hear that students are having trouble finding work placement. It seems to be a common issue. You'd think that centres will jump at the chance to get an extra set of hands to help! Like another user suggested above, you may have to look "outside the box" to try and find work placement...

:geek:,
Lorina