Possible job offer, not sure what to do with it though...

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Possible job offer, not sure what to do with it though...

Post by Steffelz » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:18 pm

Hey guys, Im not too sure what the right decision is for me, heres my situation.
I started doing my vocational placement at a centre linked with my College, the rooms with the older kids seem to be ok, but the rooms with the younger kids, really are not good enough, they just leave the kids all day, they don't plan or do any activities with them and they claim to the parents that they do, for example ; they were supposed to be learning about the letter C, and all the group leaders did was give the kids papers with pictures of a cat and a caterpillar on and blue paint and let them paint for a few minutes. No explanations or anything, no talks or stories or songs or rhymes about the letter or anything. Its not my place to step on any toes as apparently I am only an observer. The director told me she likes how I work and said she would like to talk to me about giving me work. But I don't know if I should take it as I still need to do my hours with babies at another centre (which I could also get some work from in a fees months), and I don't know if I should rather work and learn from the other centre (which is a goodstart, another question is how good is the pay/work environments at goodstart centres?)
Id just like some input from some of you all as I am torn :/

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Re: Possible job offer, not sure what to do with it though...

Post by LindyT » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:49 pm

If the centre is not up to standard I've have serious doubts about working there.

Mention to the Director that the room doesn't appear to have a strong plan. Obviously not a lot of Being, Becoming Belonging happening there!!

Be interesting to see the documentation in that room.

Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Steffelz » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:17 pm

I might do that, but I also need the money though. The other thing is that there is a new centre opening soon that I could be transferred to if I start at this one.

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:09 pm

Do you know which room you will be working in?

Whether or not it's a good start centre its the teachers in the room who are responsible for the activities and learning that happens throughout the day. You said yourself that its better in the older rooms than in the younger ones... I think you should have a chat with the director to discuss your options. Talk to the director about how they are incorporating EYLF in the younger rooms. You should also discuss the option of being transferred to the other centre once it opens so you are both on the same page. One vital piece of advice... if you and the director agree that you will be transferred get it confirmed in writing if possible so you don't have problems later on.

Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Steffelz » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:53 am

Thanks so much. Last week the entire centre didn't even have wipes so I will be having a long chat with the director next week. The centre Im currently with isn't a goodstart centre. I was just wondering if there was a difference in standards/quality of care in a big Name like Goodstart and a small name and/or private centres.