Organising Placement

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Stephenson

Organising Placement

Post by Stephenson » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:13 pm

Hey Guys,

Wondering if anyone knows of a service that can help with placements for that part of the Diploma?
I'm in Melbourne and I wouldn't really mind heading anywhere. Are there any restrictions on the kind of care it has to be? What kind of placement did you all do?

Lorina

Re: Organising Placement

Post by Lorina » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:28 am

For Diploma I think you may have to do placement within an LDC as your practicals cover a wide variety of age(although you may be able to do it with an FDC as well). It's probably best to start approaching centres in your area and asking them if they take students. I've heard that it can be difficult to get placement so it's good to get a head start on it...

:geek:,
Lorina

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:49 am

Hi Stephenson,
I have never heard of anyone doing placement in FDC, it would be good to find out if that could be an option, even if its only for a short period to give you a look at how the other side of childcare does it.
Linsaa fdc

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:05 am

I just don't see why they wouldn't let you do it an FDC... It will be good to find out. Definitely see how working in your own home with kids is completely different to working in an LDC that's for sure...

Lorina

Stephenson

Post by Stephenson » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:04 am

Thanks guys!
I'll call and find out if I can do it in a FDC as I know someone in my area who does that and she's really well respected so that would be good for some of it.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:41 pm

Stephenson wrote:Thanks guys!
I'll call and find out if I can do it in a FDC as I know someone in my area who does that and she's really well respected so that would be good for some of it.

Once you call and find out about the FDC work placement could you let us know whether or not you're able to do it in an FDC. Would like to find out as many students have asked previously and I don't know...

Thanks,

Lorina

kellymm20
Helper
Helper

Post by kellymm20 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:54 am

I was told by my teacher that you can do it in FDC although they dont really recommend it. I guess you wouldnt get as much experience as you would in a LDC. BUT having said that, the answer is Yes! :)

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:49 am

That's good to know. Yes you would get no experience with working with a team...except for the odd coordinator visit..... planning rosters etc but you get to spend time with the same children in a smaller group which gives you more opportunity to plan and see things through.
Contact schemes and ask them to link you to long term experienced educators.
Good Luck :thumbup:

kellymm20
Helper
Helper

Post by kellymm20 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:55 am

You could also try sending your resume with a cover letter by email to a whole bunch of day care centres in your area expressing your interest in doing your vocational placement in their centres. Or phone a couple of places and ask for a meeting time to speak to the centre director in regards to vocational placement. That is how i found mine and i was lucky enough to be accepted by the first place i tried. But im in brisbane. :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:54 pm

kellymm20 wrote:I was told by my teacher that you can do it in FDC although they dont really recommend it. I guess you wouldnt get as much experience as you would in a LDC. BUT having said that, the answer is Yes! :)
Thanks for letting us know! Appreciate it! It's good to hear there is another option avaiable for those students finding it difficult getting placement in an LDC...

Lorina