Having Difficulties During Work Placement

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Amber22

Having Difficulties During Work Placement

Post by Amber22 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:34 pm

How have people found their placements? Iv seemed to find my one overwhelming n makes me feel lost.
I feel invisible.
Ive tried hard asking questions, following any orders wateva they are and also being patient as i know the educators are busy. But theyre are only two nice ones ive come across that actually notice me and assist me and guide me. As this is all new to me i really am fresh and its been hard briging theory into action. I feel like they expect me to b at their standard and At times im confused n left to figure it out myself or ask my teacher that night for advice, means me falling behind :( i also seem to feel like a babysitter getting stuck with just crying kids or naughty ones n wen i try to do my obs i get interrupted to do something for them :(
I know theyre busy and ive been staying back til close to ask questions n get my wrk signed off but im lucky if get 10 mins with them :(
Any suggestions would be great as its hard to change my placement to another place now :(

Lorina

Re: Having Difficulties During Work Placement

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:53 am

You're not alone! There have been a few bad experiences students have had during work placement... I think it's really unfair that students have had a hard time during work placement and if centres are going to be so harsh on a student then they shouldn't bother offering placement. The centre should be accommodating, guide you, give you time to complete your tasks and answer any questions you may have. This is your opportunity to gain hands on experience and an understanding of the industry you will be working in.

Is it possible to speak to your room leader. Maybe you can arrange some spare time during the day or in the morning where you can have a chat with the room leader about the tasks you have to complete or any questions you may have... Have you had a chance to talk to the director? You can mention these issues to the director as well. Don't worry thinking that you're getting the staff into trouble... You are at the centre to do work placement, it's not your responsibility to look after the crying or naughty children!

How long have you been on placement for now?

:geek:,
Lorina

Amber22

Post by Amber22 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:24 pm

Hi Lorina,
Thanks for your reply.
I have been here for 2 months already. I have spoken to the director and she spoke to them but nuthings changed. They are also a bit funny with ne now since then :(
Also my teacher was out for a visit and i told her too.
I feel like im whinging but its just i want to do all i can to pass.
The toddler room was better as they were great but unfortunately the age group for my following tasks must be 4 years so im now in the kinder room.
I begged the room leader yesterday to please let me start doing my leadership all this week and she said i could do lunch and sleeptime, which she left me do on my own, then today they got me to attend to a beading activity where children were fighting and i missed out on the lunch rush she said stay there :(
I really am disapointed :(

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:30 am

Since it's already been 2 months it sounds like you're wasting your time. It doesn't sound like the centre is supportive of you in your work placement tasks... which is exactly what you are there for. You are not to be counted as part of the ratio, you are there to observe and complete your necessary work. I mean, maybe you should think about moving on. I know it's such a hassle but if you're not getting any work done then what's the point. You're the one falling behind at the end not them. At the centre, the staff are focussed on getting the job done and that includes you missing out on your tasks. You spoke the director, your trainer and still you're having issues... It's really disappointing... You either put up with it or you move on...

Lorina

jap81

Post by jap81 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:19 pm

Im in the same boat Amber. I am considering changing placement centres and seeing what happens as i feel I will find out if it is me or the centre making my placement difficult. I would be sad and disappointed that the little friends i made will be gone but at he end of the day if my book isnt being signed then im wasting my time. Now that the changes are coming in I have little time to finish my placement and an extension for 3 months. Its a toss up between doing another term and still have nothing signed or move on and hope to have an understanding Director and Team Leaders to guide me in completing what i need to do. Chin up and do what you thinks best if you dont feel like you exist and nothings getting signed consider finding a centre others recommend instead.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:51 pm

jap81 wrote:Im in the same boat Amber. I am considering changing placement centres and seeing what happens as i feel I will find out if it is me or the centre making my placement difficult. I would be sad and disappointed that the little friends i made will be gone but at he end of the day if my book isnt being signed then im wasting my time. Now that the changes are coming in I have little time to finish my placement and an extension for 3 months. Its a toss up between doing another term and still have nothing signed or move on and hope to have an understanding Director and Team Leaders to guide me in completing what i need to do. Chin up and do what you thinks best if you dont feel like you exist and nothings getting signed consider finding a centre others recommend instead.
It's frustrating for me to read about the experiences students have been having at centres! And comparatively your frustration must be even more since you're the one actually going through all of this! I think before you move onto another centre is probably to find a centre first. That way at least you know you will have a chance completing work rather than spending time trying to make arrangements. In the meantime, see if you can figure out some time during the day/week at your current centre where you are able to get your work signed...

I'm sorry to hear that it's been tough and I hope it doesn't dishearten you to work in childcare...

Lorina