Family Day Care / Work Placement ???

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Macy

Family Day Care / Work Placement ???

Post by Macy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:52 pm

Hello,

I am a bit confused.... I signed up at TAFE for the online Diploma explaining to them that I was going to run my own family day care and was only a couple of weeks from becoming registered. I received on Friday night an e-mail from TAFE with work placement forms.

As I will be running my own registered family day care do I still need to do work placement at a centre and if so how far along in the course? I don't want to take on families and then let them down two weeks later that I can't care for their children as I have to go and do work placement.... do TAFE use their common sense I wonder or has common sense left the building?

How can I build a business if I have to keep going to do work placement? Anybody else had this experience...I would love to hear from you.... very confused at the moment and TAFE isn't open until Monday morning so I can't ask anybody.

Stressed!!!

Lorina

Re: Family Day Care / Work Placement ???

Post by Lorina » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:49 pm

The whole idea of work placement is to have someone sign off on your tasks in order to state that you are competent so you can gain your qualification. Even if you are working within a centre and need to do work placement usually it can be completed where you work as long as the director signs off. As you are working in as an FDC you can probably ask TAFE to send an assessor to observe you throughout the day to sign off on the tasks for you since you can't sign them yourself. I don't see why this should be a problem... If they don't want to send an assessor you can probably ask your scheme to send an FDC Co-ordinator to sing off on your practicals.

Once again, it is best to ring and ask your TAFE just to verify but I'm sure something can be worked out,

:geek:,
L.A

Macy

Re: Family Day Care / Work Placement ???

Post by Macy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:15 pm

Great, thanks for that :) I will check with them on Monday.....