Daycare Placement.. is this normal?

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
alys09

Daycare Placement.. is this normal?

Post by alys09 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:32 pm

Hi all, I am studying for a diploma and recently started my placement about 6 weeks ago and have a few questions on what is normal and what isn't. I have never worked in a daycare before so have nothing to compare to and hope someone can shed some light on this.

The first day I arrived at my daycare, I was working in the Kindergarten section, I noticed that the staff generally seemed miserable, I was questioned by one as to 'why on earth' I took childcare and others complained in the staff room about hating their jobs in front of me. The kids generally seemed to be always fighting or crying and there were staff shouting at the kids constantly. I understand that children can fight or be upset, but this seemed to occur an excessive amount.
As the day went on, I saw some things that I wasn't sure was necessarily right to do, for example, one child was misbehaving and had been told to quieten down several times. After not obeying, one member of staff grabbed the child by the arm and dragged them out of the room whilst they were still sitting. I also witnessed staff zipping lunches up and putting them away before the kids had finished because they were 'too slow' or 'messing around' and this often ended with children crying.

The next few weeks I attended, I started seeing and hearing more things I wasn't sure on. I was often left on my own in rooms at times and staff seemed to disappear randomly. 'Hot' food brought in by the children was heated in the microwave, but no food thermometer was used. The director told us not to heat hot food anymore but I was then told otherwise by a member of staff to 'do it anyway'. Kids would often complain they were hungry to me as the other staff had told them that they can't eat yet. Hair wasn't tied back when preparing food kids brought in nor were gloves used when it was food time, so anything that needed opening was opened by staff with unwashed bare hands. When out in the yard, a lot of the staff seemed to sit with each other and talk rather than interact with the kids, often talking about their own problems in front of the children. No-one checked up on me, the director rarely knew I was there half the time. When some of the children were being told off, I noticed that some of the staff would take the mickey out of them and almost mimic the children with somethings they said. Some would also say things like 'you're acting like a baby' or 'that's what babies do' to the children. They'd often use empty threats like 'I'll be speaking to your mum about this' or 'you'll be the last one to get up to play' etc. but these would never happen.

I found a lot of things difficult to watch and hear, but have no-one to talk to about this as I don't know what is normal and what isn't. I don't mean to be rude about the placement, I am grateful for the time they've had me, I'm just curious as to whether this is the sort of thing I should expect? I have been moved to a new placement which I haven't started but have had no input from my tutor on this subject either. I've had severe doubts about my choice in taking a course in childcare since I first started the placement and am hoping that it won't affect my outlook on pursuing a career in childcare.

Lorina

Re: Daycare Placement.. is this normal?

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:15 pm

What the hell is going on? This is definitely not normal and I'm quite saddened to hear what you have been witnessing. I want to assure you that this doesn't happen usually at centres I don't want this to discourage you from working in the childcare in the future.

Some of the incidents that you have witnessed are quite serious (educator dragging child across the room, lack of safe food handling, leaving you by yourself with the children etc).

I would really recommend that you contact your assessor from your course provider and let them know of your concerns about the centre you are doing work placement with. It's not about getting the centre into "trouble" it's about keeping the children safe and they are not safe from what you have mentioned already...

What do you think?

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Re: Daycare Placement.. is this normal?

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:18 pm

I would recommend that you keep track of all the incidences that you have witnessed.

Is the director aware of what is happening? Have you spoken to the director about these issues?

:geek:,
Lorina