Applying For Work placement On My Own

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Sjan

Applying For Work placement On My Own

Post by Sjan » Wed May 28, 2014 1:01 pm

Hi

I am doing online certificate iii in children's services from Sand goanna. Course provider is not assisting in getting work placement. So I have to arrange it by my own. Please advise me what are the documents I may need to apply in childcare for work placement in addition to cover letter and resume.

Thanks.

Lorina

Re: Work placement

Post by Lorina » Thu May 29, 2014 4:15 am

I think you will also need to get a screen check done to ensure that you are eligible to work with children. Basically you fill out an application form with your personal details and they do a background check on you... You may need to get this done before you work placement begins... Here is more info:

http://www.dcsi.sa.gov.au/services/screening

I would suggest you contact the above just to make sure as a student you need to get this screening done. I'm pretty sure you do but just be 100%...

Here is some more information n Work Placement which you may find useful:

Work Placement In Childcare (available in our Wiki, in Student Articles)

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

Sjan

Post by Sjan » Thu May 29, 2014 9:36 am

Thank you Lorina. Do I need any work placement agreement or volunteer placement agreement from my institute?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu May 29, 2014 4:00 pm

Yes, you probably do... It just details what you need to do before, during, after work placement, along with your details, your course and institute details, the centre details, contact people, hours to be worked etc. I am providing a sample here:

http://www.holmes.edu.au/Uploads/Higher ... HI-Mel.pdf

You will also need a time sheet of some sorts that you get the centre supervisor to sign to acknowledge you've done your hours etc. they will also need to report that you completed your tasks...

:geek:,
L.A

Allybee

Post by Allybee » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:30 pm

Hi Sjan
I am a researcher interested in talking to you about your experiences as a student. Would it be possible to drop me a line. I will direct message you.
Many thanks.

Allybee

Post by Allybee » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:17 pm

Hi Sjan

Have realised cannot DM yet. As explained I am a researcher interested in talking to you about your experiences as a student. It would be great if you could give me a bell (02) 8333 3043. Many thanks, Alison.

CCare Consultant

Post by CCare Consultant » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:49 pm

H Sjan I saw your post.
I did my qualification with Sand Goanna.
They don't offer work placements positions as they don't offer traineeships which is listed on the website. therefore there is no work placement agreement required as it is volunteer experience. A work placement agreement is usually done between a training company and child care centre where as the child care centre will sign you off for practicals as part of a traineeship. my course was over 12 months online via distance where as you complete all the theory online then you have to do volunteer experience and record the hours in their logbook and journals. I did around 140 hours from memory. You do have to pay for your own insurenace for your volunteer experience which cost me around $80. I paid around $900 for the course and was sceptical at first!

Just ask your trainer for a letter and it will help explain the relationship to the child care centres I did and had no issue. When I did mine I went to many centres and completed my portfolio and hours. Once I had my hours if the workplace was happy to sign a third party form for items they have seen me complete in my time then I could use it as part evidence. At the end of the day my online assessor had the final say at the end of all the online and my practical hours there is a validation and competency review. Basically if the online trainer felt that I was not yet satisfactory then I would be required to complete more practical hours our demonstrate further until I was at the right level. The validation section was tough but definatly do able, as I was told that they wanted to ensue that I had not only the online knowledge but the required skills. At the time I was a bit upset that I had to do some further work but in the end I am greatful as when I got work I knew there was no shortcuts.The documents for working with children checks too are on their website its a bit everywhere but if you read each line it is there

When I did it there was a "Message Assessor" Button there and they answer within 6-10 hours usually perhaps try that and see if you get assistance? that is if they are still using the same system.

Hope this helps.

Rgs.