ADVICE RE WORK PLACEMENT FOR CERT III

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
mellis77

ADVICE RE WORK PLACEMENT FOR CERT III

Post by mellis77 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:34 pm

Hi guys.

I am currently looking around at places trying to decide where to do my Cert III in childcare- online. I found one place who sent me information about their online courses and the told me the following:

* Work experience or a placement is NOT required as per the National training package but is optional for those interested in doing this
(no additional fees apply as we will cover the insurance expense)

Every other place ive looked at requires that you do around 120hours placement.

Im hoping to get the course done as soon as I can, and cutting out the placement would obviously help with that but not sure if i really don't have to do placement!?

The place said i would get my Cert III without doing the placement but im confused how you can complete some of the modules that require you demonstrate how you interact with kids etc??

Also, when i go to apply for a job.. i assume theyd ask me where i did my placement? if i havent done one, i assume that will work against me??

Any advice would be appreciated

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Re: ADVICE RE WORK PLACEMENT FOR CERT III

Post by dulciean » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:51 pm

Hi there. Well i have never personally heard of not needing to do work placement for your Certificate III qualification- who is the training group you are looking at? Also to consider, if you have little or no experience ' on the floor' ( in a real Centre setting) your placement is essential in forming the qualification- early childhood is definitely a profession where you will find the theory and the reality to be quite different, putting it mildly! I would seriously research before going ahead with these ' fast- tracked' courses that often aren't worth the paper they're written on. I myself come across far too many graduates of Cert III who do not have a clue- and they tend not to last in the Industry!

mellis77

Post by mellis77 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:39 pm

thanks so much for your advice.. maybe ill look into another organisation!!! :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:26 am

I agree with Dulcieans comments!

I also never heard of a cert 3 qualification where you don't need to complete work placement. You will find that when completing your cert 3 some of the assignments actually require you to find the information while doing work placement so it's going to be hard if you aren't required to complete it itself. I think you should definitely look for another institute to do your course because it doesn't sound right to me...

:geek:,
L.A

mellis77

Post by mellis77 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:08 pm

Thanks! I am actually looking at a place called Pragmatic which even has a simulated childcare centre at their facility! It's expensive but looks good. Thinking ill do it in class instead of online maybe!

Monalysa0zy

Post by Monalysa0zy » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:24 pm

Hi I was surfing the Internet to get some advices on how to apply for some work experience. I passed my certificate 3 with Monash University and the course did stipulate that the work experience is optional. I agree with you that it makes no sense because employer would want someone with experience.
If I knew it before hand, I would have chosen the course with another school or provider because now I struggle to find some work experience. Schools in my neighborhood are either full to accept someone else or they advised me to apply via Seek or other similar websites....do they know it's just a work placement/ work experience for 120 hours?? I am not applying for work since I have no experience 🙄🙄
So I'm stuck.

Monalysa0zy

Post by Monalysa0zy » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:29 pm

Oops don't know where my reply went lol
So I did a certificate 3 but not in Child care, and it did stipulate that you don't have to do the work experience. If i knew it, i wouldn't have done the course from this Monash. Very disapointed.
I can't find work placement at the moment, it's very frustrating.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:55 pm

Hi!

To obtain a cert 3 qualification in early childhood education it is mandatory to do work placement! You will not be fully qualified unless work placement is completed.

:geek:,
Lorina