When to quit

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
spookysculpter

When to quit

Post by spookysculpter » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:31 pm

Hello everyone,
I recently quit my job as a room leader as I feel the centre was in breach of ethics and regulations. I gave no notice as I was trying to work with the centre to fix problems but the continuing unsafe practices made me feel as though my career was in jeopardy. I did give a list of issues to higher management but if I stayed I feel the unsafe practices would have continued and I had had enough.
A quick list of problems were, too many children to staff numbers, no disinfectant to clean with, these were the problems that could result in a potentially dangerous situation and seemed to be they were everyday occurrences. There was a long list of problems but for confidentiality I only generally listed a couple.
How do others feel about leaving without notice when unsafe stuff is happening? :(

Lorina

Re: When to quit

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:16 pm

Hey Spookysculpter,

you poor think! I can imagine how stressed out you must have been that in the end you decided to quit your job.

Things must have been very bad in order for you to quit without notice… the issues you were having at your centre are not small ones. It is not acceptable when the centre doesnt maintain the children to staff ratios and also not having any disinfectants since it is a basic requirement for hygiene!! You have done the right thing by addressing these issues and all the other problems you were facing to the higher management

now I've been working in this industry for a long time and honestly it's not uncommon for centers to be in breach of a few regulations, even though technically it's a big NO NO…

In my opinion if your centre director doesn't really maintain the regulations and follow them, will then it's not your fault... I'd just put my head down, do the right thing.. coz in the end it's the director's responsibility to ensure that regulations and ethics are followed.

Listen it sounds pretty nasty with what you had to deal with so don't beat yourself up about it... I would make an anonymous phone call to DOCS to let them know what is going on at this centre..DOCS will visit the centre make a report on what's going on... and hopefully the staff, centre director and management will take it a little more seriously.. that's all you can do for now...

How long were you working there for?

:geek:,
L.A

spookysculpter

Post by spookysculpter » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:31 pm

Five months, I feel better now I left and am looking for a nicer centre.

awesomeme

Post by awesomeme » Wed May 25, 2011 8:21 pm

Hi spookysculpter
I know what you were dealing with as i am currently dealing with that and a few more issue's at the moment. I rang the dept today and lodged a complaint, a few of the other girls will be aswell this week.
I've only quit one other job without notice and that was also at a centre but it was a case of workplace bullying.
I would quit my job tomorrow if i could afford it but i can't.
I've had some great advice though, if anything like this happens again, keep a diary of ratios daily, and any other things that are going on, like your dates you had no disinfectant etc. that way if anything happens you have your diary to back you up. Also any conversations regarding the complaints.
Glad you feel better.

chazzu35

Post by chazzu35 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:05 pm

I have had quite a few difficulties in different centre's I have worked at. It seems to me that many childcare centre try to get away with cutting costs where ever they can at the expense of the children and the staff in their service. I recently left a job because my assistant was unable to direct behaviour in an appropriate manner. After complaining to the director and getting no results I decided I couldn't work with her so I left. The job I had before that, not only paid under the award wage but employed unqualified staff that had no idea how to care for the children appropriately. I think I have finally found a fantastic centre that follows the regulations and looks after the staff and children always maintaining high quality care. It has taken me 5 different centres and 2years to find the right centre for me.