Do I have to be finished before I can teach?

General discussions on topics related to Bachelor of Early Childhood studies.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Bachelor Degree in Early Childhood. Please refer to Bachelor Degree Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Coelix

Do I have to be finished before I can teach?

Post by Coelix » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:34 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have googled this question but can’t find an answer…

I have a Diploma and am about to start my Bachelor Degree…am I able to teach as in a ‘working towards’ type situation, for 3yo and 4yo kinder, or do I need to have completed my Degree before I can teach?

I live in Victoria.

Lorina

Re: Do I have to be finished before I can teach?

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:53 pm

Hi!

As per the National Regulations:

If you are working in a centre-based service educating and caring for 1 to 29 children preschool age or under, your service does not need to apply for a waiver or notify the regulatory authority in employing a person ‘taken to be an ECT’ to meet the ECT requirements under regulations 130, 131 or 272(1A). Your employer must, however, keep a record of the period that you as an ECT is in attendance at your service (regulation 152).

Suppose your service is unable to employ a person ‘taken to be an ECT’ in accordance with regulation 242. In that case, they may apply to the regulatory authority for a temporary waiver, which will be assessed and considered on a case-by-case basis.

Suppose you are working in a centre-based service educating and caring for over 29 children. In that case, your employer may apply to the regulatory authority for a temporary waiver if they cannot meet the ECT requirements under regulations 272(2) to 272(5), which will be assessed and considered on a case-by-case basis.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

Coelix

Post by Coelix » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:29 pm

Thanks, Lorina.

I understand the regs you have quoted.
I guess I mean something along the lines of that you can work whilst studying Cert 3 when you have completed a certain number of units.
Can you work as an ECT when you have completed a certain number of units and are still studying? Or is it no teaching until you have received your Bachelor?

I know Diploma quals allow me to teach in our sessional kinder for 60 days within a twelve month period as a fill in, but can I take on an actual role as a teacher at any stage of my degree study?

Thanks for your patience.

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Butterflyblue » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:05 pm

Hi Coelix,

As far as I know in Vic ect's must finish the course to be counted (and paid) as an ect. Regulation 242 doesn't apply here and is being phased out nationally.
In future student ect's may be counted as certificate 3 or diploma depending on how much of the ect course has been completed.

You can find more info in the
"Taken to be an early childhood teacher" section on ACECQA's website (link below)

https://www.acecqa.gov.au/qualification ... lification

Good luck with the course!

Coelix

Post by Coelix » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:47 am

Thanks for the info - much appreciated!

JaguarZOR

Post by JaguarZOR » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:24 pm

It all depends on the educational institution where you want to teach. Still, most of them will not take you as a teacher without a graduation diploma.

Coelix

Post by Coelix » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:06 am

Thanks for getting back to me.