CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically - case study

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Taramum

CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically - case study

Post by Taramum » Sun May 08, 2022 2:16 pm

Hi I'm currently working on my legal and ethical unit. This case study that i'm working on has me stuck. I know these kinds of things happen in childcare but I'm not sure what the correct response to the parent would be, I feel if this happened while I was working, I do not yet have the answers to help me in this situation.

You’re an Educator in the 2 – 3 years room.

This morning you are on the early shift and a parent approaches you, her name is Stacey and she expresses her concerns regarding her son Jai who has been biting others recently at the service and at home.

Stacey said that last night Jai bit his little sister, so Stacey decided she would bite him back to show him how it hurts. Stacey is adamant that Jai will never bite again. Stacey then goes onto say that if Jai bites again at the service, you have permission from Stacey to bite Jai back.

a) What would your detailed response be to Stacey?
c) After Stacey leaves document in 100 words what would you do next?
d) What are the responsibilities of each person in this situation? – Educator, Senior Educator/ Team Leader, Nominated Supervisor/ Director.

Lorina

Re: CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically - case study

Post by Lorina » Sun May 08, 2022 9:46 pm

The following information will help:

Don't Bite Back

Responding To Biting

:geek:,
Lorina

Nessmcd12

Post by Nessmcd12 » Thu May 26, 2022 11:48 am

ive been stuck on a few of these questions and need help this assessment is way overdue and i hvae heaps more left and only 3 motns left.

You are the lead educator in the toddler room and Brayden is a two year old boy in your care. He is usually collected by Aunty Karen who stays and plays for a while when she picks him up of an afternoon. You haven’t seen Karen for a few days and then one morning she comes to visit Brayden and asks to play with him in your room for a while.

That afternoon, Brayden’s mother comes to pick him up and you tell her that Karen was there this morning. She tells you she does not want Karen seeing Brayden anymore as they are no longer talking. You have observed that Karen and Brayden have a very close loving relationship.

a) Identify the ethical and/or legal issues (where applicable) in this scenario.

b) What are your responsibilities regarding this situation according to legislation, workplace policies and protocols?

c) Consider your own personal values and attitudes and explain how you will ensure your practices are non-judgemental.

d) How will you ensure your actions are within the boundaries of your work role (both responsibilities and limitations)?

e) What are the service’s legal requirements with regards to the child?

f) List service records and legislative documents that would guide your actions.

g) Read the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. In your own words, briefly describe the children’s rights in regards to this scenario.

h) Who would you discuss each situation with and why?

i) What steps would you take to ensure confidentiality and boundaries are maintained between you, your colleagues and clients, including management of service documents?

j) Identify any legal requirements (if any) for mandatory reporting?

k) What are the parent/carer rights and/or responsibilities in this scenario?

A colleague from the preschool room tells you they dislike a particular four year old boy in the room as she finds it very difficult to get him to sleep. She says her and the other educator argue because she believes he has to go on a bed and be forced to sleep, while the other educator says he can lay on his bed quietly to rest and read. Today, she asks you to put a bed out for him in your toddler room and states “if he’s in the baby room, he will learn to sleep like a baby”.

c) What would the possible consequences be for yourself, the impact on the child and the educator, if you did not act in accordance with your responsibilities?

d) Which quality area from the National Quality Standard is relevant to this scenario?

Explain the role of each of the following and their relationship to each other:

a) National Law

b) National Regulations

c) National Quality Standard

Explain the following terms and how these may be applied to your work role (approximately 150 words for each):

a) The relationship between human needs and human rights.

b) The relationship between Dignity of Risk and Duty of Care

c) Code of Conduct

d) Code of Practice

e) Discrimination

f) Informed consent

Describe the client complaints handling procedure for your service (you may include a diagram or write an explanation).

Identify three (3) legal and/or ethical responsibilities that relate to your job role and provide one (1) example for each that demonstrates how you have met these responsibilities within the boundaries of your job role.

Describe two (2) times that you have identified and communicated to others potential work practice improvements that have enhanced your procedures in relation to legal and ethical requirements.

Taramum

Post by Taramum » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:10 pm

Thank you for the help Lorina, I was able to pass this unit

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:56 pm

Taramum wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:10 pm
Thank you for the help Lorina, I was able to pass this unit

Awesome! Congratulations!

:geek:,