CHCECE033

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
sarrahevans

CHCECE033

Post by sarrahevans » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:29 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm really stuck on this question and was wondering if I could get some assistance.

Scenario
You are supervising in the Chestnut Oak Room and you overhear children having a disagreement. You approach the situation and hear a four-year-old boy saying to three girls, ‘You can’t come in here because you are girls and it’s not allowed, this is boys club’.
The girls respond by saying, ‘You have to let us in’. The boys say, ‘Nope, no pink allowed’.

Explain how gender is influencing group dynamics and one way you would manage this situation.

my response: I feel like I've not answered and over thought it.
The boys have been taught that pink is for girls and blue is for boys. I would approach this situation by getting the children to explain the disagreement they are having. Explain to the children that pink and blue are just colours, the girls could help the boys make an even bigger club where all the children can play. reflect and add more diverse resources to the childrens environment that encourage gender equality

Lorina

Re: CHCECE033

Post by Lorina » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:06 pm

Yes, you're on the right track.

You could also discuss with the children the issue and find common ground between all. Rather than having a boys/girls club you can find something that they all like and make it a club such as "a lion club" for example. Then you can all work together to create the club. Since the boys are already being biased during group discussions you can also begin to talk to children about biases and how they affect others. You can also find pictures of women doing "man jobs" and men doing "woman jobs" so you could explain that whether you're a boy or girl you can get involved. You could also talk about colour. Rather than associating it with gender, you can associate it with a feeling.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

sarrahevans

Post by sarrahevans » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:14 pm

Thanks Lorina :)

I do have another question about another question- same issue of me overthinking it

Scenario
Hardeep: Hardeep is a room leader of toddlers room in a service in Victoria, she has worked in the service for two years. Her family background is Hindu and every morning before she comes to the service, she has a meditation ritual. She celebrates Diwali festival (festival of lights) yearly with her family.
Chelsea: Chelsea is an assistant educator with Hardeep. She has worked in the service for one year. Chelsea is indigenous and is from the Kaurna Adelaide region. She enjoys large family gatherings where her family tell stories and sing and dance.
Linh: Linh is a brand-new educator to the service. She has only just started working with children and is studying her Certificate III as a trainee. Linh is 19 years old and has migrated to Australia in the last four months with her uncle and aunt after her parents were unable to come to Australia. Linh is of Christian faith and enjoys celebrations such as Christmas and Easter. She also sings in the choir at her church.

How might this educator’s cultural beliefs and practices influence their communication approach with children?

My answers:
Hardeep could incorporate a guided meditation into the childrens daily routine. this can encourage self regulation and would be a great opportunity to extend on Hardeeps hindu culture by introducing traditional language

Chelsea may communicate in Kaurna language. This could be a great opportunity to teach the children about the communities indigenous culture and incorporate the language into their practices, (greeting, songs, and stories)

Linh: A Language barrier may be an issue with communication. This can cause serious misunderstandings as words can get jumbled and jargon may be used that Line may not understand.
Linh may want to merge her love for Christmas, easter and singing and teach the children Christmas carols, stories and hawse celebrated back home.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:07 pm

These are good answers! Awesome!

:geek:,
Lorina

kkirk3

Post by kkirk3 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:49 pm

I know this is from 2022! but currently stuck on the section B) of this question and needing some help :)

b) Based on the scenario, provide a summary of how this group of educators could support children
to recognise that the way they experience and see the world is based on their own values and
beliefs.