FDC business

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
JennBat13

FDC business

Post by JennBat13 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:56 pm

Hello there,

I am working towards a Cert III in childcare and eventually I would like to set up my own Family Day Care business.

I was advised that I can set up an FDC while working towards a Certificate III and that it is not necessary to complete your diploma to do that.

Is this true? If so then;

What about appointing a co-ordinator?

Do I have to employ a co-ordinator and how much will I need to pay them per month to have them employed?

(I have been working as a childcare trainee since June 2020 and I have pretty much a well rounded experience in running a room and planning programs and making observations. Although I doubt I can come up with policies and procedures for the organisation)

Any answer at this point will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Lorina

Re: FDC business

Post by Lorina » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:47 am

HI!

The following info will explain the process and answer your questions!

FDC - Selecting A Service

Earning Potential

FDC Insurance

:geek:,
Lorina

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Butterflyblue » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:28 pm

Hi JennBat13

Are you wanting to work as a family day care educator or start a family day care service?
Depending on which its 2 different answers (the above refers to family day care educators)
The responsibilities and duties are also very different

FDC educator
Family day care educators, educate and care for children in their own home.
You can work as a family day care educator whilst studying certificate 3. You'll have to register with a service near you and have/complete required paperwork (first aid, police check, working with children, interview, house check etc)
Family day care educators must be registered with an approved service in order to work as a family day care educator.

FDC service
Family day care services sometimes called schemes can be owned and operated by anyone as with other types of childcare such as long daycare. As an approved service provider you will be subject to legal requirements including employing coordinators.
If you would like to start and operate a family day care service you need to go through the process to be licensed by the Government as an approved early childhood education and care service.
Approved fdc services can recruit educators as contractors to work as part of your service.

Happy to help with any fdc questions :)

JennBat13

Post by JennBat13 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:42 pm

Hi Lorina,

Thank you for your response.

I am looking to set up a Family Day Care Business/Service.

I am currently pursuing a Diploma in Early Childhood Education and I am working part-time to gain experience.

But the only hitch is I want to start this business Asap; which means I cannot finish my diploma before I begin the business.

Which means I will have to employ a co-ordinator and educators to run the business.

I was wondering if this is a viable option considering the running costs of the service.

I am of the opinion that I should get the Diploma before I establish the service. It is as per legal requirements that the co-ordinator of the business should hold a diploma.

This will help me run the business by myself without having to employ others. As the ratio for a daycare is 1:7.

But if there is any way I can start the business without getting my diploma and employ others to run it and make enough money to float the business then that would be great.

Currently, I am trying to complete 11 subjects from the diploma on the completion of which I will considered as pursuing a diploma. This is as per the regulations for me to get the Provider Approval.

I would appreciate any help I get in this regard.

Thank you Lorina.

JennBat13

Post by JennBat13 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:09 am

Hello Butterflyblue.

My apologies. I am new to this forum and I did not follow the thread properly.

I assumed it was Lorina who responded twice.

My sincere apologies.

I have done some research in this behalf and I have noted the following.

As per the ACEQUA regulations I have to complete the following 11 units to be considered as pursuing a Diploma in Childcare.

CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically
CHCECE002 Ensure the health and safety of children
CHCECE003 Provide care for children
CHCPRT001 Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
CHCECE004 Promote and provide healthy food and drinks
CHCECE007 Develop positive and respectful relationships with children
HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting
CHCECE001 Develop cultural competence
CHCECE005 Provide care for babies and toddlers
CHCECE009 Use an approved learning framework to guide practice
CHCDIV002 Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety

Of which I am already done with 7 and only 3 more to go as the last one is a practical.

I can apply for a provider licence after this and then a service licence.

I will have to hire a co-ordinator though.

This is all I know.

Thanks for helping me out Butterflyblue.

kimimiler

Post by kimimiler » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:44 pm

Thanks for the business recommendation.

JennBat13

Post by JennBat13 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:59 pm

You are welcome. All the best!

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Butterflyblue » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:29 pm

JennBat13 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:09 am
Hello Butterflyblue.

My apologies. I am new to this forum and I did not follow the thread properly.

I assumed it was Lorina who responded twice.

My sincere apologies.

I have done some research in this behalf and I have noted the following.

As per the ACEQUA regulations I have to complete the following 11 units to be considered as pursuing a Diploma in Childcare.

CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically
CHCECE002 Ensure the health and safety of children
CHCECE003 Provide care for children
CHCPRT001 Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
CHCECE004 Promote and provide healthy food and drinks
CHCECE007 Develop positive and respectful relationships with children
HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting
CHCECE001 Develop cultural competence
CHCECE005 Provide care for babies and toddlers
CHCECE009 Use an approved learning framework to guide practice
CHCDIV002 Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety

Of which I am already done with 7 and only 3 more to go as the last one is a practical.

I can apply for a provider licence after this and then a service licence.

I will have to hire a co-ordinator though.

This is all I know.

Thanks for helping me out Butterflyblue.
Hi JennBat13,
That's ok, happy to answer any fdc questions, just let me know what info you'd like and I'll do my best :)

mangeshtate

Post by mangeshtate » Sun May 16, 2021 6:29 pm

Hi there,

My Wife is an international student in Wollongong Uni. I have completed my diploma and have around 5 years experience in child care. in addition, my wife has pursued her Diploma before 7-8 months. Currently we both are working as a casual. We are thinking to start a Family Day Care Service, so have some questions such as,
1. Being on Student Visa Can we Start FDC?
2. What are the certificates or legal documents/ permissions we need from govt.?
3. Can we start it in rented place?
4. How much initial investment/ Capital we should have in hands?
5. How many children we can enroll as we both going to operate it?

I appreciate the help.
Thank you.

JennBat13

Post by JennBat13 » Fri May 28, 2021 6:31 pm

Hi Mangesh,

I am sure you can run it in a rented place. I am not so sure about your visa situation. I am not the best person to ask as I am a Permanent Resident.

From what I gather rent+Insurance and some money for setting up and marketing are the only costs I can think of. I am not sure of the rest.

For permissions you have to get two licences. One is provider approval and the other is operation licence. May be your landlord will need to give you written permission to run the business. That's all I know.

The ratio in NSW for FDC is 1:7. and with two educators you can up to 14 including your children who are school aged.

I hope this helps.

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Butterflyblue » Fri May 28, 2021 6:35 pm

mangeshtate wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 6:29 pm
Hi there,

My Wife is an international student in Wollongong Uni. I have completed my diploma and have around 5 years experience in child care. in addition, my wife has pursued her Diploma before 7-8 months. Currently we both are working as a casual. We are thinking to start a Family Day Care Service, so have some questions such as,
2. What are the certificates or legal documents/ permissions we need from govt.?

I appreciate the help.
Thank you.
mangeshtate wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 6:29 pm
Hi there,

I appreciate the help.
Thank you.

1.Being on Student Visa Can we Start FDC?
You must have the right to live and work in Australia to be a family day care educator

You will need a CRN and tax file number, plus an ABN and PRODA when you open.

Yes, with formal permission from the land owner

This varies on a range of factors including costs required to:
- obtain legal paperwork (police checks, insurance etc), ensure compliance (creating a child safe environment etc) and setting up a day care (equipment, furniture, toys, resources etc)
plus other expenses such as your time, technolgy, marketing and so on.
$500

If you both work, you may have the same as 1 educator (4 kids). One of you may be a educator assistant but the ratio and income remains the same as 1 educator.

Alternatively, the service you are registered with can categorise you has a venue which fulfils legislative requirements, in which case you can each work as individual educators in seperate areas. This is rare in family day care primarily as a lot of space is needed i.e seperate entrance, seperate bathroom, seperate day care area with seperate sleep area, facilities etc

Your first step is to get land owner permission if you don't own a house and seek a family day care service to register with.
The service can then assist you with starting and operating you own family day care.
Hope that's helpful, let me know if you have any other questions :)

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Butterflyblue » Fri May 28, 2021 6:36 pm

Sorry, forgot to add in terms of money at least $500, most likely more :)

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Butterflyblue » Sat May 29, 2021 1:20 am

To clarify:

You will need to obtain a license if you wish to operate a family day care service.
Family day educators register with a service and don't require any licenses.

Family day care ratio is the same nationally:
1 educator to 7 children with a maximum of 4 preschool aged children
This includes the educators own children aged 13 and under if there is no other adult present.

If there is an educator assistant or relief educator the ratio remains the same. Under the roof ratios etc don't apply to family day care.

The number of educators at a residence cannot be increased in order to increase the number of children that can be educated and cared for.

https://www.acecqa.gov.au/nqf/educator-to-child-ratios

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Butterflyblue » Sat May 29, 2021 1:25 am

mangeshtate and Jennbat13 let me know if you have any more fdc questions and I'll do my best to answer ;)

Lilliput

Post by Lilliput » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:54 pm

JennBat13 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:56 pm
Hello there,

I am working towards a Cert III in childcare and eventually I would like to set up my own Family Day Care business.

I was advised that I can set up an FDC while working towards a Certificate III and that it is not necessary to complete your diploma to do that.

Do I have to employ a co-ordinator and how much will I need to pay them per month to have them employed?

(I have been working as a childcare trainee since June 2020 and I have pretty much a well rounded experience in running a room and planning programs and making observations. Although I doubt I can come up with policies and procedures for the organisation)

Hi there,

Are you still wanting to start a FDC Service? How r u going with it?

Lilliput

Post by Lilliput » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:09 pm

JennBat13 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:56 pm
Hello there,

Hi there,

Are you still wanting to start a FDC Service? How r u going with it?