Questions About Early Childhood Teaching Career

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Rosentiaria

Questions About Early Childhood Teaching Career

Post by Rosentiaria » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:43 am

Hi,

I live in Queensland, Australia (gold coast specifically) and I'm just finishing up my bachelor's degree in creative writing. After I finish I am considering going for a postgraduate diploma in early childhood education that will qualify me to work as an early childhood teacher. I have some questions before deciding if this is the career for me.

1. About how many hours of documentation do you have to do on an average week during your non-working hours?

2. How many hours on average in a day do you spend outdoors?

3. Do you find the work intellectually challenging?

4. Is this a good job for someone who wants a creatively fulfilling career?

5. Do centers prefer to hire graduate teachers over teachers with years of experience, because their cheaper?

6. This last question sounds very stupid, but I was wondering if all centers in Australia make you wear a uniform? Like even the smaller ones that aren't part of a mass corporation?

I have been scouring the internet with no luck in finding answers to these questions, so I would very much appreciate your responses.

Lorina

Re: Questions About Early Childhood Teaching Career

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:06 am

Hi!

I'm going to help answer your questions... this is based on the experiences that I have gained over the years working in the industry.

1. About how many hours of documentation do you have to do on an average week during your non-working hours?

Ok so this varies on the service you're employed with and how many children are in the room. As a room leader/ECT of the service you are required a minimum of 2 hours a week of non contact time at work to spend on documentation. Some centres gives this time and more while others don't. I would say honestly 3-4 hours is needed a week to complete documentation.

2. How many hours on average in a day do you spend outdoors?

Once again depends on the service. Some services have a free flowing program which enables children to spend their time both indoor/outdoor throughout the day and other services that have planned time in the morning and afternoon to spend outdoors (3 to 4 hours) in summer maybe less due to the sun and heat.

3. Do you find the work intellectually challenging?

It depends on the individual. I would say personally that it is intellectually stimulating. Knowing and understanding the different theorists and applying them in practice, understanding child development, ongoing learning with current research practices in the early years, working with children from different cultures, traditions, values you have to be open and flexible to work with children and families gain their trust and stimulate children's learning. There is so much to learn on a daily basis!

4. Is this a good job for someone who wants a creatively fulfilling career?

it depends... creatively in the sense of developing creative experiences for children or through creating an engaging room environment or when completing documentation...

5. Do centres prefer to hire graduate teachers over teachers with years of experience, because their cheaper?

I hope that centres hire the right candidate because the individual would be a benefit for the service rather than cost effective...

6. This last question sounds very stupid, but I was wondering if all centers in Australia make you wear a uniform? Like even the smaller ones that aren't part of a mass corporation?

No, not stupid at all! Not all services will require you to wear a uniform... some services have a dress code to wear comfortable clothing such as a polo top, jeans and enclosed shoes...

All services are different so it's hard to give you a definite answer to your questions because everyone working in this industry has had so many different experiences... you just have to find the right service that suits your needs...

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina